macOS High Sierra, download from AppStore fails

I am running macOS High Sierra. I followed How to download and install macOS - Apple Support and clicked on the High Sierra link which opens the App Store and begins the download. A progress bar comes up but then stops. I am ethernet cable connected just saying incase someone takes me down a rabbit hole to check the network which is absolutely fine.

As you can see from the screenshot I end up with a small file and greyed out Download button in the App Store.

If I delete the small file I can begin the download again which reproduces the issue as seen in the screenshot.

Can I download macOS high Sierra from Apple servers using a terminal command perhaps?

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 8:18 AM

Resolved: Description of resolution below although there are no insights to offer as the installer magically showed up in the ~/Applications folder.

AppleCare contacted me today over the phone and we had a session where they could see my screen. I demonstrated the download experience from the App Store and I was able to reproduce the issue the first time, much like the first screenshot at the top of this thread — a greyed out download in the appstore and a 450KB file.

I went about reproducing the issue a second time so that it was clear to the advisor. Unexpectedly and somewhat by surprise the file showed up in the ~/Applications folder the second time around. There was no progress bar that corresponded to an actual download, only a short progress bar with the word, calculating (maybe doing some checksum).

Although AppleCare and I never reached a conclusion on what the cause of the issue was I can assure readers here that the App Store never showed a download progress bar for the Install macOS High Sierra.app download, weighing in at 5.23GB. As the download suddenly appeared after my second attempt to download I suspect the file had an invisible flag or that it downloaded in the background while I walked away from the computer, I am not sure. The only thing AppleCare did ask me to do was to open System Preferences and click on App Store but this was before I attempted to reproduce the issue for AppleCare.

Thank you in advance for anyone who contemplated a response.

Cheers!

Alex

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2023 8:18 AM in response to LostAccount

Resolved: Description of resolution below although there are no insights to offer as the installer magically showed up in the ~/Applications folder.

AppleCare contacted me today over the phone and we had a session where they could see my screen. I demonstrated the download experience from the App Store and I was able to reproduce the issue the first time, much like the first screenshot at the top of this thread — a greyed out download in the appstore and a 450KB file.

I went about reproducing the issue a second time so that it was clear to the advisor. Unexpectedly and somewhat by surprise the file showed up in the ~/Applications folder the second time around. There was no progress bar that corresponded to an actual download, only a short progress bar with the word, calculating (maybe doing some checksum).

Although AppleCare and I never reached a conclusion on what the cause of the issue was I can assure readers here that the App Store never showed a download progress bar for the Install macOS High Sierra.app download, weighing in at 5.23GB. As the download suddenly appeared after my second attempt to download I suspect the file had an invisible flag or that it downloaded in the background while I walked away from the computer, I am not sure. The only thing AppleCare did ask me to do was to open System Preferences and click on App Store but this was before I attempted to reproduce the issue for AppleCare.

Thank you in advance for anyone who contemplated a response.

Cheers!

Alex

Nov 23, 2023 2:59 AM in response to LostAccount

The issue persists after 24 hours. Are there intentions on Apple's part to fix what appears to be an Apple server side issue or is my App Store somehow corrupted. If it is the latter is there any advice on how to fix the App Store? Short of that is there an Apple CDN that I can download from using a terminal command? I do need the installer as recovery mode also fails to download. In fact I need to install on an external USB as per Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

macOS High Sierra, download from AppStore fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.