Delete part of video clips

Hi!

I have several large video files, from which I only want to use a few shorter sections in a project. How can I delete the major parts (which I don’t use) from the media library to free up space?

/LS

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 8:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 12:56 AM

Click on the arrowed icon at the top right of the screen and then click Export File in the window that appears.

In the next window that appears click Next at the bottom right corner. You will then be asked to give the clip a name and specify where you want it saving . . . the Desktop is usually the most convenient place.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 12:56 AM in response to L3LL3

Click on the arrowed icon at the top right of the screen and then click Export File in the window that appears.

In the next window that appears click Next at the bottom right corner. You will then be asked to give the clip a name and specify where you want it saving . . . the Desktop is usually the most convenient place.

Nov 24, 2023 4:22 AM in response to L3LL3

It is quite simply the bit rate.

The default iMovie setting gives a high bit rate which results in larger files.

Generally speaking the higher the bit rate the better the quality but I find that iMovie and Final Cut Pro tend to use higher bit rates than are really necessary.

Luckily you can adjust (lower) the bit rate to suit yourself.

In the share (export) window click on the Quality setting to disclose various options. Select Custom and you will see that the default for 1080p is 20 Mbps.

You can drag the slider to the left to reduce the bit rate . . . all the way to the left is 3.333 Mbps which will give you a file size of one sixth.

At 3.333 Mbps you may get digital artefacts with fast moving objects so you need to experiment and judge for yourself how much to move the slider.

Nov 24, 2023 1:06 AM in response to L3LL3

Yes. Share (export) the new clip from the timeline.

Delete the original clip.

Bring back your shared (exported) clip into the project.

How big is the original clip? It is usual to keep the complete clip unless it's an hour long and you only need a few seconds!

Unless the big clips are massive and filling up your hard drive you should just leave them alone.

Nov 24, 2023 2:38 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

How big is the original clip? It is usual to keep the complete clip unless it's an hour long and you only need a few seconds!

Unless the big clips are massive and filling up your hard drive you should just leave them alone.

Thank you!

Big clips are massive ;)

I tried this and it seems to work, but the output from iMovie is much larger than the original (even though both are 1080p mp4 files). Any ideas why?

Delete part of video clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.