External Hard Drive for MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

I need to back up my MacBook Air and need advice on which hard drive ? I have read information that it may require reformatting ?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 10:45 AM

Thank you for asking. Here are some helpful thoughts.

• The disk typically needs to be formatted the same format as your HD. Use Disk Utility to do the reformatting, not any utility app provided by the disk vendor. They cause problems and should be deleted.
  • The external drive should be large enough to accept 3 times the data on your HD, not including the OS. (It is not backed up.)
  • The backup disk should be exclusively dedicated to backups only.
  • It doesn't matter if you use a mechanical drive or an SSD for backups. Mechanical drives will cost less.
  • Most any brand will do the job. I personally like and use LaCie drives.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 10:45 AM in response to Imn2giraffes

Thank you for asking. Here are some helpful thoughts.

• The disk typically needs to be formatted the same format as your HD. Use Disk Utility to do the reformatting, not any utility app provided by the disk vendor. They cause problems and should be deleted.
  • The external drive should be large enough to accept 3 times the data on your HD, not including the OS. (It is not backed up.)
  • The backup disk should be exclusively dedicated to backups only.
  • It doesn't matter if you use a mechanical drive or an SSD for backups. Mechanical drives will cost less.
  • Most any brand will do the job. I personally like and use LaCie drives.

Nov 24, 2023 5:21 PM in response to BDAqua

First of all, I really appreciate the help and suggestions. I’m still fairly clueless when it comes to the latest technology . It changes daily .

Can someone please tell me what to google to find the right Hard Drive ? 🤷‍♀️

MacBook Air 2017

MacOS Sierra

Version 10.12.6

Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Here Is what I know so far :

1. Not Formatted in APFA
  2. Need MacOS Extended Journal, GUID
  3. Large enough to accept 3 x the data on my Hard Drive

Don’t laugh 😞.

Does the “disk” mean the External HD?

If so, when I connect the HD to my computer, I will go to “Go” drop down menu , then select “Disk Utility” . Correct? Don’t use the mfg utility to reformat the HD to my computer . Correct ?

Would 2TB be large enough or do I need more?

Since it is my laptop and I don’t have a home Desktop, should I get a portable HD?

Can I back my IPhone 11 on the same HD?

Will the HD recognized duplicates since my Laptop and IPhone sync together ?

Can I erase photos from my iPhone and Computer , after I back them up to free up space ? If I need to retrieve any old photos or documents , I can pull them from my hard drive ? If I back up again later, will it overwrite the first back up ?

These may sound like dumb questions but I just want to make sure I understand .

What is the preference between SSD and Mechanical if cost isn’t a huge issue?

I know eventually I’ll have to replace my computer and IPhone . Do I need to worry about my HD being obsolete ?

Again, thank you for guiding me through this world of technology . 😊

I just don’t want to lose pictures of my parents or voice messages from my mom that I have saved for 5 years . I sent the VM to my email as an attachment . I downloaded the attachment.

Nov 24, 2023 10:07 PM in response to Imn2giraffes

Here are some further thoughts.

• I would definitely use a dedicated drive for the backups and a separate disk for booting from an external drive.
  • I agree that the drive used for booting should be an SSD. They are much faster than mechanical drives, but they do cost more to purchase.
  • You will need to download and install an operating system (OS) on the startup external drive and then open System Settings to set it as the startup disk if that is what you want.
  • If you wish, your iPhone can be backed up to your iCloud account. iCloud is not for backing up a Mac computer, however. Only iPhones and iPads.

Nov 24, 2023 7:14 PM in response to Imn2giraffes

OK, You're grasping it pretty god my friend.

I'd recommend an external SSD if you want to boot from it...

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-envoy-pro-sx

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-envoy-pro-fx

If just for Time Machine use a USB HDD would work...

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro

Does the “disk” mean the External HD?

Yes, And Correct.

Would 2TB be large enough or do I need more?

I would think so.

Since it is my laptop and I don’t have a home Desktop, should I get a portable HD?

Likely so.

Can I back my IPhone 11 on the same HD?

Will the HD recognized duplicates since my Laptop and IPhone sync together ?

Can I erase photos from my iPhone and Computer , after I back them up to free up space ?

Yes if booting from the external drive.

Syncing should work.

No, you need to transfer everything to the External drive, I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner seems to accomplish it...

http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

I know eventually I’ll have to replace my computer and IPhone . Do I need to worry about my HD being obsolete ?

You shouldn't but who knows the future for certain?

I just don’t want to lose pictures of my parents or voice messages from my mom that I have saved for 5 years .

I'm going tom recommend you get both, an External SSD to boot from + an external Drive or SSD to backup to, since you have important irreplaceable data.:)

Just holler If I didn't cover anything.

External Hard Drive for MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.