Why do I have to turn the sound back on every time I play a video?

Hello,

Why do I have to turn the sound back on every time I play a video in the Photos app (iOS, iPadOS) Is it possible to enable this by default? For me this is a terrible user experience: click on a video, click on the sound button, close the video, click on another video and click on the sound button again … Why?

Cheers,

Roelof

iPhone XS, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 10:37 PM

Hey Roelof, I’m guessing you have “auto play videos” turned on A lot of folks, don’t realize that if you have “auto play” turned on in SETTINGS/PHOTOS it will automatically mute your videos, requiring u to manually turn sound on for each video. it’s actually a smart feature because auto play can be very loud in situations where you might not want everyone in a meeting hearing uncle Bubba cursing. Also, in situation’s during performances or kids recitals if you take a short video and want to make sure it’s good you don’t want it blasting through the auditorium just from checking it

-So first check out your settings for the Photos app

-Also: Be sure ‘do not disturb’ is off as that silences several things by default on iPhone/iPad, requiring you to turn the videos sound on manually, even when you have auto play, turned off in settings.

I hope this helps…

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2023 10:37 PM in response to roelof81

Hey Roelof, I’m guessing you have “auto play videos” turned on A lot of folks, don’t realize that if you have “auto play” turned on in SETTINGS/PHOTOS it will automatically mute your videos, requiring u to manually turn sound on for each video. it’s actually a smart feature because auto play can be very loud in situations where you might not want everyone in a meeting hearing uncle Bubba cursing. Also, in situation’s during performances or kids recitals if you take a short video and want to make sure it’s good you don’t want it blasting through the auditorium just from checking it

-So first check out your settings for the Photos app

-Also: Be sure ‘do not disturb’ is off as that silences several things by default on iPhone/iPad, requiring you to turn the videos sound on manually, even when you have auto play, turned off in settings.

I hope this helps…

Why do I have to turn the sound back on every time I play a video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.