color (colour) conform - HDR to SDR

I have drone footage which has been shot in HLG format (HDR).

When I put in FCP the top window (not edited raw footage) shows the video is intended in HDR.

However when I drag footage into editing window the video goes all flat and lacking "punch"

I see this

The out put result is flat as well.

I have tried turning color conform off but it just washes out the video.

How to I get a HDR result without having to result in adding video effects ?

thanks

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 5:04 AM

You should not have Color conform set to SDR unless you are editing knto an SDR project. It looks like you changed the library to HDR but kept the project at Rec 709, which is SDR.

Now the library is HDR, if you try to do Modify on the project, Color Space should no longer be greyed out. Change it from Rec 709 to the proper HDR setting.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 5:04 AM in response to Robin Bonathan

You should not have Color conform set to SDR unless you are editing knto an SDR project. It looks like you changed the library to HDR but kept the project at Rec 709, which is SDR.

Now the library is HDR, if you try to do Modify on the project, Color Space should no longer be greyed out. Change it from Rec 709 to the proper HDR setting.

Nov 24, 2023 2:09 AM in response to Robin Bonathan

If I understand correctly, you need to make your library and project HDR to get HDR results.

What is happening now is that your HDR material is being conformed to an SDR project.

You can select your library in the browser sidebar, open the inspector and click "Modify", then choose "Wide Gamut HDR". Or perhaps it is better to just make a new library, in case this change may affect other things in it that are not supposed to be HDR. I have tried this and it seems to no harm anything, though.

Then make a new project and make sure to choose the appropriate Color Space:

color (colour) conform - HDR to SDR

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.