Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Hi,

I am new here and want to buy a Macbook. I'm a Software Engineer working as a Hybrid Mobile Application developer for Android and iOS. I want to buy a Macbook but I'm confused about which Macbook is best for me Macbook Air or Macbook Pro with the following specs, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB memory with m1.

Please tell me which is best for me because somebody told me that Macbook Air is not for running Xcode.

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 9:19 AM

techzohaib wrote:

Just one little question more, can a Macbook Air also runs Xcode in it? Because somebody said me that MacBook Air is not supported for Xcode. Is it right?

I don't know of any reason why a M2 MacBook Air could not run Xcode, if configured with enough RAM and SSD space.

A 14" or 16" MacBook Pro based on a M3 Pro or M3 Max chip would have

• More CPU cores / greater ratio of "performance" CPU cores to "efficiency" ones (for long batch compile jobs)
  • The potential to be ordered with larger amounts of RAM
  • Active cooling
  • The ability to drive a couple of external monitors, instead of just one

Some of these advantages would also apply to older 14" and 16" MacBook Pros based on the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. The Apple Certified Refurbished Store might have such MBPs, for 15% off their original list price.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 9:19 AM in response to techzohaib

techzohaib wrote:

Just one little question more, can a Macbook Air also runs Xcode in it? Because somebody said me that MacBook Air is not supported for Xcode. Is it right?

I don't know of any reason why a M2 MacBook Air could not run Xcode, if configured with enough RAM and SSD space.

A 14" or 16" MacBook Pro based on a M3 Pro or M3 Max chip would have

• More CPU cores / greater ratio of "performance" CPU cores to "efficiency" ones (for long batch compile jobs)
  • The potential to be ordered with larger amounts of RAM
  • Active cooling
  • The ability to drive a couple of external monitors, instead of just one

Some of these advantages would also apply to older 14" and 16" MacBook Pros based on the M2 Pro and M2 Max chips. The Apple Certified Refurbished Store might have such MBPs, for 15% off their original list price.

Nov 24, 2023 6:16 AM in response to techzohaib

Hi techzohaib,

What you're referring to as memory is actually storage. The RAM inside your Mac is its real memory.

If you're planning to use a Mac for Xcode, get at least 16 GB of RAM - if not more. You'll likely need more storage than what the base models offer (256 GB).

To help figure out a good recommendation, what computer or PC do you currently use for software development? How much storage and RAM does it have? How much of the internal storage are you currently using on that computer?

Nov 24, 2023 8:03 AM in response to techzohaib

techzohaib wrote:

Hi Encryptor,

Currently I am using core i5 4th generation with 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD + 500gb Hard drive.

But my question is that which MacBook is good for using Xcode means Macbook Air or Macbook Pro? And how much RAM and memory?

Thanks for your response.

I'd recommend one of these models then:

• M1/M2/M3 MacBook Pro with 16 GB RAM, 512 GB storage (only for light software development)
  • 14" or 16" MacBook Pro with the M1/M2/M3 Pro chip, with at least 16 GB RAM and 512 GB storage.

Nov 24, 2023 9:09 AM in response to techzohaib

Note that Mac laptops using the 'base' M1, M2, and M3 chips can only drive one external monitor. These laptops include:

• 13" M1 and M2 MacBook Air
  • 13" M1 and M2 MacBook Pro
  • 15" MacBook Air
  • 14" MacBook Pro using the 'base' M3 chip (rather than a M3 Pro or M3 Max chip)

Apple has largely moved on from M1-generation chips to M2- and M3-generation ones. The only place that you'll still find a M1 chip in a new model in the current lineup is in the entry-level ("price point") M1 MacBook Air. It lacks the MagSafe 3 charging port and improved sound system found on the 13" and 15" M2 MacBook Airs.

Macbook Pro vs Macbook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.