Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Restore a previous Music library

I accidentally deleted a playlist. I'd like to restore it. I followed instructions from this two year old thread: Restoring a music playlist from a Time Ma… - Apple Community answered by @JazzmanJohn which seems like a good solution.

Unfortunately, after restoring from Time Machine the list of playlists remains empty for a few seconds then displays my current (incomplete) set. I've tried this several times going back further for a file to restore each time but Music always launches and displays the current library.

My Music.app 1.4.1.29 ignores any file called "Music Library" and creates one called "1.Music Library" but the same thing happens if I restore any past version of that one too

Has Apple changed what/how/where it makes and uses its library file? I'm running Sonoma 14.1.1.

Thanks much.

• Scott

Mac mini, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 6:01 PM

In macOS 10.15 Catalina and later the Music Library.musiclibrary file is a package that contains equivalents for the library files that would previously have been in the iTunes folder. Internally there is a file called Library.musicdb, which would appear to be the real analog to the .itl file. Music creates Temp File.tmp files within the .musiclibrary package when updating the library, so it is possible that in a corrupted library there will be a .tmp file that can be restored if you right click on Music Library.musiclibrary and Show Package Contents. If restoring a .musiclibrary package from Time Machine you should option-start Music and explicitly select the restored file.

For more info, see:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrad… - Apple Community

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2023 6:01 PM in response to Scott Beach

In macOS 10.15 Catalina and later the Music Library.musiclibrary file is a package that contains equivalents for the library files that would previously have been in the iTunes folder. Internally there is a file called Library.musicdb, which would appear to be the real analog to the .itl file. Music creates Temp File.tmp files within the .musiclibrary package when updating the library, so it is possible that in a corrupted library there will be a .tmp file that can be restored if you right click on Music Library.musiclibrary and Show Package Contents. If restoring a .musiclibrary package from Time Machine you should option-start Music and explicitly select the restored file.

For more info, see:

Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrad… - Apple Community

Restore a previous Music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.