Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Any video editing software that can edit Apple video files (.mov, iphone video)?

Of course I shoot video on my iPhone, and I import videos from my ZOOM camera into my Mac. But then I cannot edit these videos in iMovie or FCP, or any other video editor I've tried (I just get an error message). 

So I only need to know:

Is there is any video editing software anywhere that can edit Apple video files?

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 6:54 PM

So, my bandmate who records with the same ZOOM camera as me, and with an iPhone, is always getting edited band footage up online quite quickly. I mean the very same night as the recorded band practise, or gig.

So I sent him a query about his set up.

My bandmate just replied:

He loads the video files off of his iPhone and ZOOM camera onto his Windows computer.

Without any conversion software or any extra steps, bandmate is able to immediately edit these video files with Adobe Premiere on his Windows computer.

I don't like this fix, but it seems to be the way I will have to go.

For the first time in decades, I will buy a Windows computer, and pay the monthly ransom to Adobe, for an installation of Premiere.

We gotta do what we gotta do. :(

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2023 6:54 PM in response to DanRoy

So, my bandmate who records with the same ZOOM camera as me, and with an iPhone, is always getting edited band footage up online quite quickly. I mean the very same night as the recorded band practise, or gig.

So I sent him a query about his set up.

My bandmate just replied:

He loads the video files off of his iPhone and ZOOM camera onto his Windows computer.

Without any conversion software or any extra steps, bandmate is able to immediately edit these video files with Adobe Premiere on his Windows computer.

I don't like this fix, but it seems to be the way I will have to go.

For the first time in decades, I will buy a Windows computer, and pay the monthly ransom to Adobe, for an installation of Premiere.

We gotta do what we gotta do. :(

Nov 26, 2023 5:20 PM in response to DanRoy

Re: Is there is any video editing software anywhere that can edit Apple video files?

The QuickTime Player on Mac can do simple editing like trim, adjust playback speed, loop, and etc.

(It is wise to "duplicate" the file and do the editing on the copy, so you retain the original.)

You can: Export movies to other file formats and resolutions using QuickTime Player on Mac - Apple Support

QuickTime Player User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

The Photos app on Mac has video-editing tools.

Eg: For MacOS Ventura: Highlight a video and (Show / hide tools) from the Image menu.

or

For MacOS Sonoma: See Editing basics in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

0r

Choose your correct Mac OS at top of articles for accurate info.

Photos User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Dec 3, 2023 1:57 AM in response to DanRoy

Re: So even Premiere won't edit .mov files or iPhone movies?

Premiere uses extensions for Apple's .heif and .hevc movies. Premiere supports .mov files for some codecs, so any it doesn't support would need to be converted before import. Exporting videos to other formats for use with video-editors is quite simple.

Apple's software comes for free with our devices ... videos can generally be edited quite well in Photos, and QuickTime. (Seems .mov is originally QuickTime's format.)

(Apple also has the free "Clips" app for iPhone and iPad users). Videos can also be used in iMovie. All available free, and not-to-difficult to use or learn.

Adobe's Premiere is not free. Premiere seems aimed at, professional users and students who are willing to take on the steep learning-curve. Many would be using professional video cameras, lighting, microphones, etc. to capture their movies.

Dec 3, 2023 3:43 PM in response to DanRoy

If you are dead set on not using the free Apple software ... well and good ... it depends on you whether you learn Apple's ways of doing things, or not.

Photos can trim, filter, rotate, slow down, speed up etc:

Enhance your videos - Apple Support

and

About: editing with third-party extensions on your Mac.

says: "Use the App Store on your device to find and install apps that allow full editing from Photos or include extensions for Photos".

If you have a 4K video: how to edit it with iMovie.

says:

"After you've recorded 4K or 60 fps video, simply add the video clips to your project in iMovie. You can combine 4K and 60 fps video clips with other types of video clips and photos in the same project".

Re: "When I try to edit in iMovie, I just get an error message that the file cannot be opened in iMovie".

Wondering what file-type you tried with.

There's always a way, even if you need to convert a file-type first.

How to: Convert incompatible media in iMovie on Mac - Apple Support

Eg: All the photos and video clips in your "Photos" libraries are automatically available for use in iMovie.

How to: Add media from your photo library in iMovie on Mac - Apple Support

and

How to: Import into iMovie on Mac from iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Also:

iMovie User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

If you put in "Editing Apple videos" on YouTube there are lots keen to share tips.

Dec 4, 2023 5:38 AM in response to DanRoy

DanRoy wrote:

I am only asking for any video editing software that can work with iPhone video, and .mov files.

In my 16+ years as an Apple exclusive user, I have never had any compatibility issues importing videos natively recorded from iPhone to my Mac.

I offered a real solution.

If you choose to ignore this solution, then I shall wish you well by unsubscribing from this thread.

Good luck! 😉👍🏼

Dec 2, 2023 11:46 PM in response to brbo

"MOV files can first be converted to other formats on the Mac using QuickTime, before importing into Premiere (or another video-editor)"

So even Premiere won't edit .mov files or iPhone movies?

I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand why Apple products would produce video files that cannot be edited with Apple video editors, or any other video editors. Okay… whatever - Apple has created an unusable video system.

So it looks like the solution is to shoot with some other type of video and audio recorder. My ZOOM concert recorder is abusive on batteries, but I'll have to come up with a power supply to make that work. What a mess.

Nov 27, 2023 2:59 PM in response to DanRoy

Thank you for your reply. Seems to me, Premiere is the pick of the bunch.

The link below displays Premiere's supported file formats ... uses extensions for HEIF and HEVC files. MOV is supported for some codecs only ... yet, if needed, MOV files can first be converted to other formats on the Mac using QuickTime, before importing into Premiere (or another video-editor)

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/premiere-pro/using/supported-file-formats.html

We do not know which Mac model you are using, or which MacOS version is installed, or whether Premier is compatible. (Premiere's System requirements can be obtained from the above link, using the sidebar. NB: Seems an Intel Mac needs a different version than a Silicon Mac) macOS 12 Monterey or later is necessary.

Dec 3, 2023 2:36 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

So I checked out Compressor. It's not a video editor.

Same conclusion: To shoot and edit video, I can't use video files from my iPhone, or .mov files from my Mac.

(That I can't load my iPhone video into iMovie is beyond frustrating. I'm not intelligent enough to comprehend Apple's end-game with that.)

I use my iPhone more for video and stills than for telephone stuff. Since I am unable to edit the footage that I shoot on my iPhone, I'm really not seeing the purpose of me sticking with an iPhone.

Like I said earlier, it looks like my solution will be to shoot stills with any small DSLR (the OM1 system is pretty compact), and I'll shoot video on my ZOOM concert recorder.

I'll see if FCP can handle those files. If not, I'll have to go back to Adobe ransomware ****, for Premiere.

None of this Apple file incompatibility makes any sense, but I need to do what it takes technologically, in order to create.

If anyone else reading this thread is using a video editor that can handle iPhone videos and .mov files, I'd love to hear from you!!

Dec 3, 2023 6:43 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

Buying a program to create another step to convert Apple video files into something Apple applications can work with, is not a solution. It's a barrier, another hindrance to editing iPhone video.

And back to the point of my original post here:

I am only asking for any video editing software that can work with iPhone video, and .mov files.

(If there is no way for Apple software to edit Apple video files and .mov files, then that is the way it is.)

Checking with other editors, I am finding that there may be one solution to this problem, albeit an inelegant method. But I'll do what I have to do.

Any video editing software that can edit Apple video files (.mov, iphone video)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.