The new Magic Keyboard (A2450) and Mouse (A1657) cannot be properly recognized as Apple devices by the older iMac model, resulting in non-functional function keys and the inability to automatically connect via Bluetooth.

Hi guys,

I've been using an iMac (Late 2013 model, running macOS 10.14.6 Mojave) along with my 1st generation Magic Keyboard and Mouse (both using AA batteries) all the time. Recently, I purchased a new Magic Keyboard without Touch ID (model A2450, priced at $99 in Apple Store now), to replace my original 1st generation Magic Keyboard. However, I've encountered several frustrating issues:

1. The new Magic Keyboard is not recognized as an Apple device. When attempting to connect via Bluetooth, the Bluetooth Keyboard Setup Assistant prompts me with "Cannot identify your keyboard." After connecting, it is recognized as a generic keyboard. In the "System Preferences - Keyboard" settings, there is no option for "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" or "Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys on external keyboards." Instead, only the option "Change Keyboard Type" is available, leading to the same "Cannot identify your keyboard" message.
  2. Additionally, the function keys (F1-F12) on the keyboard do not work. Notably, F5 for dictation, F6 for focus mode, F7-F9 for media playback, F10 for mute, F11-F12 for volume control, and the power key, even when combined with the Fn key, do not function as expected. These functionalities are crucial for my usage, and their absence is a significant inconvenience.
  3. When using a Lightning-to-USB cable to connect the new Magic Keyboard, the Bluetooth connection automatically disconnects. The keyboard functions properly (with the switch turned on), but it still isn't recognized as an Apple device. Upon unplugging the cable, I need to manually reconnect the Bluetooth keyboard to continue wireless use.
  4. After iMac is shutdown and restarted every time, the new Magic Keyboard fails to reconnect automatically. I must manually connect the Bluetooth keyboard each time. This issue is also present with the new Magic Mouse (also purchased recently, model A1657), causing considerable inconvenience.
  5. I've attempted to reset the Non-Volatile Random-Access Memory (NVRAM), reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on the Mac, and installed all available software updates (Mojave 10.14.6). Despite numerous restarts, the problems persist, primarily due to the new keyboard and mouse not being recognized correctly as Apple devices.

I noticed that the new Magic Keyboard supports macOS 11.3, and I wonder if upgrading my old system is the only solution. Can my iMac be upgraded to 11.3, and will this upgrade ensure the resolution of the keyboard recognition issue? I'm primarily seeking a solution for volume control and the power button, as well as the automatic reconnection issue. Thank you.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 8:13 PM

The new Magic keyboard requires a Mac with macOS 11.3 or later.

Plus the Late 2013 iMac is not on the Compatibility list.

see > Magic Keyboard - US English - Apple

No sorry, Catalina 10.15 is the highest macOS that your Late 2013 iMac can run.

see > Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

Similar questions

12 replies

Jan 23, 2024 2:18 PM in response to dialabrain

Went to the Navy Exchange in pCola yesterday and gave the clerk description of my iMac, which could use a new keyboard and mouse. The clerk seemed indifferent to my tech data and recommended a keyboard and mouse which he put in a bag and bid me adieu. I am 84 and was in a hurry for my Va appt next door. I smelled a rat but had to leave. They sold me a Magic Mouse and Magic Keyboard, both with wires. I don't believe in Magic anyway and after looking at dialogue above I I am guessing that my iMac retina 5K, Big Sur 11.7.10 mid 1950 27" mid-2015 8G,.600mhz will not like this stuff and it should be returned. If so, can anyone ethically recommend a good replacement source for my battered mouse and keyboard? Thanks - Deanough

The new Magic Keyboard (A2450) and Mouse (A1657) cannot be properly recognized as Apple devices by the older iMac model, resulting in non-functional function keys and the inability to automatically connect via Bluetooth.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.