Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

My iPhone tells me that my wifi network has low security

I have a mesh wifi network in my house consisting of an Asus RT-AC68U router and three ZenWIFI XD5 devices. Despite the router being configured with WPA2-Personal authentication (on both bands), my iPhone 12 tells me that my network has low security and that the WEP key is insecure.

I don't have a WEP key on my router, as mentioned earlier, but my iPhone thinks otherwise. I'm not sure how to fix this. My router doesn't support WPA3.

iPhone 12, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 9:54 AM

4 replies

Nov 27, 2023 10:09 AM in response to matiastideida

Note that to eliminate the warning if you are using WPA2 it needs to be WPA2 Personal AES. The AES option may be in a different field on the same page as the WPA2 setting.

To eliminate the weak security warning, change the security settings on your router to WPA3 Personal, WPA2/WPA3 Transitional or to WPA2 Personal AES. How you do that varies by router. If you don't have the instructions for your router, do an internet search for instructions for your router brand/model or if your router is supplied by your internet service provider, check their website or customer support. Also see: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2023 1:28 PM in response to matiastideida

matiastideida wrote:

The problem precisely is that my router is configured in WPA2 Personal and has an AES key. It does not allow me to have another key that is not AES, but it does have WPA2, as I show in the attached screenshot.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/dfb5cf50-648f-4b44-bd65-c9d7b7b828cc

That should work but I don't know why it isn't.

My iPhone tells me that my wifi network has low security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.