Deeply Hidden Spyware App

I did a spyware scan and the “FamilyLink” app is showing up as being on my phone - it sees everything I do, tracks me, my photos, my calls, texts, etc. But It’s deeply hidden. I cannot get it removed, PLEASE HELP!? I Am very scared. I’ve tried everything

iPhone 15 Pro

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 9:15 PM

P. S. – If you had installed a FamilyLink app on your iPhone, and couldn't find it on any of your Home Screens, you might have simply removed it from your Home Screens without removing it from your App Library. You could go to the App Library and delete it, or bring its icon back onto your Home Screen.

My guess is that you never installed this thing in the first place, unless you bought "smart home" equipment from this particular electronics manufacturer.

The app that "warned" you about the "threat" might have just been using some random icon, "lifted" from someone else's app, to make its "warnings" look more realistic. Sort of like how "phishing" mails will make use of copies of a bank's real logos and marketing graphics to try to fool potential victims into falling for the scam.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2023 9:15 PM in response to MissMeena0874

P. S. – If you had installed a FamilyLink app on your iPhone, and couldn't find it on any of your Home Screens, you might have simply removed it from your Home Screens without removing it from your App Library. You could go to the App Library and delete it, or bring its icon back onto your Home Screen.

My guess is that you never installed this thing in the first place, unless you bought "smart home" equipment from this particular electronics manufacturer.

The app that "warned" you about the "threat" might have just been using some random icon, "lifted" from someone else's app, to make its "warnings" look more realistic. Sort of like how "phishing" mails will make use of copies of a bank's real logos and marketing graphics to try to fool potential victims into falling for the scam.

Nov 27, 2023 8:48 PM in response to MissMeena0874

It is a complete scam. Apps are sandboxed meaning they can't read anything outside of the memory space they occupy. Even if you did have spyware (which you don't) the app could not see it.

Let me guess, once you click on the How to Uninstall button, it asks for money before it can proceed.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2023 9:09 PM in response to MissMeena0874

Interesting. When I did a Google search, I found an App Store Preview for Google Family Link, a Google app whose purpose is to provide "Parental control for your kids." It has a different icon from the one that you describe.

Google didn't show me any other FamilyLink apps.

Next step: Search the Mac App Store. Sure enough, there was a different FamilyLink app – for iPad – with an icon that looks like the one in your picture. The description says it is by Siterwell Electronics Co., Limited. The support link led to a Web site that seemed to belong to a manufacturer of "smart home" equipment located in China.

A Google search for "familylink app store siterwell" (throwing in the vendor name that I found in the Mac App Store) came up with an App Store Preview page for the app that you seem to be talking about.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/familylink/id1474919535

Nov 27, 2023 9:34 PM in response to MissMeena0874

MissMeena0874 wrote:

That’s…awful. This happens to be a real life nightmare, so, this is very “Wes Anderson”/“Royal Tenenbaums” except, it’s not, because, well, it’s real. Cruel. But, on par.
While I’m here, what do you suggest for the closest true, authentic spyware apps? Please & thank you.

As far as limiting access to the camera and microphone, you may find this to be helpful reading:

Control access to hardware features on iPhone - Apple Support

Deeply Hidden Spyware App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.