Large files disappear from iCloud Drive on computer

I'm using iCloud Drive to sync and backup the data on my MacBookAir, including the option to optimise my storage - meaning that older documents that I don't use as much are only saved in iCloud and have to be downloaded to the computer when I want to use them. This has worked perfectly fine for me for 6 years (the files are displayed in the folders, but I have to click download before I can open them), but recently, there is a troubling problem: Larger files (not older ones, but only the large ones) are not shown on my MacBook anymore at all.

Example: I open a folder on my MacBook (iCloud - desktop - folder) and it has 8 files in it. However, I can't find my two Keynote presentations in there, so I open iCloud Drive in the browser or on my phone, navigate to the same folder and it shows me 10 files, including the two large presentations.

(To clarify: the files are not displayed at all on the MacBook, not even the thumbnails. And if I click on the information on the folder, it says '8 files' on the computer, but says '10 files' when I look at it on my phone)

I think this problem has started since my last update to Sonoma 14.0.

Has anyone come across this yet? Or has any suggestions on how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance!

Ina

Posted on Nov 28, 2023 1:36 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 29, 2023 5:49 AM in response to Marsina

See the article Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

When you sign in to iCloud, you have access to iCloud Drive. With iCloud Drive, you can keep files and folders up to date across all of your devices, share files and folders with friends, family, or colleagues, and more.

You can store files* in iCloud Drive as long as they're 50GB or less in size and you don't exceed your iCloud storage limit. If you need more iCloud storage, you can upgrade to iCloud+. With iCloud+, you can also share iCloud storage with your family, without sharing your files. Learn more about prices in your region.

*Avoid storing app folders, libraries, .tmp, .vmdk, .vmware, .vbox, .vm, and .pvm files in iCloud Drive.

Those files can be compressed then downloaded Zip and unzip files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

Follow the article If you can’t download an item from the web using Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2024 8:24 PM in response to Marsina

Hi, I have a similar problem! My files are ALL gone though!! Please help!

I have been using my iCloud for all my important projects/documents in a very complex folder system. Including large architecture drawing files, presentations, and photo documents.

All of a sudden, I noticed that drawings were missing - I found 6,400 files in my trash!!! Overnight (without me or anybody else touching the files!!)!

On the cloud sign-in online I tried to recover - only 1000 were able to be selected, but then an error message showed and all 'recover-selected' files disappeared - as well as all other 6,400 files. The big files. All my important ones! The folder system is still intact - just the files missing - out of folders I haven't touched all year.

I recently added a windows computer with access to the icloud. Before I had used icloud for an iMac, MacBook and iPhone only. They have different operating systems due to different architecture programs.

What happened here? What setting did this and how can I trust to use iCloud in the future?

Apple support was not able to restore these files. The initial 'delete-incident' happened on March 27... I might have only a couple of days to restore - if even possible.

Can anybody help?

Thank you!

Apr 26, 2024 12:53 AM in response to Pocahon

Hi Pocahon,

wow this sound stressful, I hope you can resolve it!

Unfortunately I personally have no idea how to help with your problem, sorry. But I would recommend trying Apple support again. For my problem that I described above, they were able to help me in the end. The first person I talked to suggested a few things that I tried but that didn’t work. I then called again and was sent from one person to the next, as the problem was fairly unusual and complex. In the end, I talked to a superior/manager and she was extremely knowledgable and figured out the solution step by step. Although it was an usual case even for her. But it was extremely helpful!

So I‘d try apple support again if I were you.

Good luck!

Apr 27, 2024 9:14 AM in response to Marsina

Hi Marsina, thank you so much for your reply. Apple support has not helped and the files are gone from their part. I do have a time machine backup of some of the most important files, so it's not completely horrific. But that this happened, Apple, is very upsetting.

Thanks for responding! Glad you got yours back! :)

[Edited by Moderator]

Large files disappear from iCloud Drive on computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.