resetting Mail on Sonoma

I am having issues with mail. My mail server is on rackspace and every time I try to get mail or send mail the application quits. I also have a gmail account and an icloud account and they work fine. To get mail to restart, after the program quits, I have to go in and turn the accounts off in settings and then open mail. I have tried deleting the accounts and recreating them numerous times. As a test, I created a new user on my mac and mail works perfectly well there. Sadly, my HD does not have enough space on it to copy all my files and then like under a new user name. Can anyone tell me howe to delete the data in mail and get a new factory reset on it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 6:47 AM

Backup your Users -> yourname -> Library -> Mail and Mail Downloads folder to two external hard drives or flash drives.

Delete the on my mac folders and any POP email that is old from Mail that you don't need instant recall for.

Keep in mind it isn't actually deleted until it is removed from the trash folder.

IMAP mail and Exchange Mail itself is stored on the server and not taking up space on your Mac.

Use Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

to optimize your storage more.

If you only have 128 GB of actual storage on your Mac, get a Mac with more built-in storage, or boot off an external hard drive that has its own source of power, or is connected to an AC powered hub.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2023 6:47 AM in response to thelakeisle

Backup your Users -> yourname -> Library -> Mail and Mail Downloads folder to two external hard drives or flash drives.

Delete the on my mac folders and any POP email that is old from Mail that you don't need instant recall for.

Keep in mind it isn't actually deleted until it is removed from the trash folder.

IMAP mail and Exchange Mail itself is stored on the server and not taking up space on your Mac.

Use Optimize storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

to optimize your storage more.

If you only have 128 GB of actual storage on your Mac, get a Mac with more built-in storage, or boot off an external hard drive that has its own source of power, or is connected to an AC powered hub.

resetting Mail on Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.