Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Pop-Up: File was downloaded on an unknown date

I was away for a few weeks, had my iMac M1 shut down. Used my MacBook Air while away & make good use of the icloud for documents. I returned & fired it up this morning & I keep getting a pop-up saying "WebResultsToolDaemon" will damage your computer. Underneath it says "This file was downloaded on an unknown date" & then it gives 2 options "OK" or "Show in Finder". No matter which I pick, it goes away & then re-pops up. And when I select "Show in Finder" nothing happens. So I don't even know which file it is that was downloaded on an unknown date. I have deleted all files in the downloads folder. I have re-started it several times & even unplugged it. Still nothing helps.

iMac 24″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 7:57 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 25, 2024 2:40 AM in response to spm81

I'm facing the error "This file was downloaded on an unknown date" with my own file. It's a digitally signed excel file.

It happens after the update to Sonoma on my M1 Mac and only in the iCloud. When I save the file to a local folder, the error disappears. When I copy this local file to the iCloud drive, I can open it exactly one time. The next try to open let pop up the error message again.

Pop-Up: File was downloaded on an unknown date

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.