Using my iPhone XR as personal and work phone

I am currently using my iPhone XR for personal use and work use.

When I started with my current company I already had my iPhone XR and phone number.

The company I work for is paying for my phone service, Mint Mobile.

I am trying to separate my work life from my home life.

I am looking at purchasing an iPhone 12 Pro Max and moving the Sim card from the iPhone XR to the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Both my iPhone XR and the iPhone 12 Pro Max are Unlocked.

I am then going to purchase a new plan from Mint Mobile with a new phone number and install in my existing iPhone XR.

Now to my actual question, should I add the new Sim card with new home phone number to my existing Apple ID account or create a separate Apple ID for my new home / personal phone?

2nd option

I am not overly Tech Savvy, but I have read about phones having the capability of having a physical Sim card and an eSim card. From what I have read online the iPhone 12 Pro Max is dual Sim capable and Mint Mobile offers an eSim option.

If I would go with option #2

Is it possible to create two separate profiles/user accounts on the iPhone 12 Pro Max to switch between the physical Sim card and eSim that would also switch apps, themes, etc.

When I am in Home Mode I don't want to see anything work related as the whole purpose of this is to disconnect from work when I am at home. I would give the company I work for my new Home phone number, so they can contact me in case of emergency.

Basically have the iPhone 12 Pro Max operate the same as my home computer running Windows 7 that my wife and I share but have our own separate profiles.

Thank you in advance for you help and advice.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 8:26 AM

Given your desire to keep the content separate, you should go for 2 phones. An iPhone can only use one ID, as you wish to use it, at any one time. Again, as you wish to do things, signing in and out of IDs would fast become tiresome since you would also have to wipe the device between sessions. In addition if you use a service such as Apple Music you might 90 day wait period after signing out of an account and being able to sign into Apple Music again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2023 8:26 AM in response to Plas62

Given your desire to keep the content separate, you should go for 2 phones. An iPhone can only use one ID, as you wish to use it, at any one time. Again, as you wish to do things, signing in and out of IDs would fast become tiresome since you would also have to wipe the device between sessions. In addition if you use a service such as Apple Music you might 90 day wait period after signing out of an account and being able to sign into Apple Music again.

Dec 2, 2023 10:00 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

I am going to go with two separate Apple ID accounts and use two separate phones

This brings up another question for setting up my 2nd separate Apple ID account for my new phone.

On my existing Apple ID which I plan to continue to use for work along with my existing cell phone number. This Apple ID account was established using my personal email address.

When I receive my new phone and new Sim card / Cell phone number I plan to again use my personal email address for the new Apple ID account.

Will Apple allow you to have two separate Apple ID accounts that have the same name and primary email address on them?

Using my iPhone XR as personal and work phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.