Battery charging

Does the new IOS versions / newer iPhones automatic stop charging once they reach 100% yet are still connected to the charger ? I am not inquiring about the optimized charging features nor the 80% limit option . With both of those turned off and leaving the phone overnight , does it Stop charging by itself when full ,similar to how the new Samsung flagships stop when they reach 100% unless disconnected and connected again ?

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 9:17 AM

Yes, the battery stops charging when it reaches a full state of charge. You can't overcharge an iPhone battery at all. What I'd like to know is why you aren't using the best method for charging your phone, which is actually Optimized Battery Charging. It is designed to preserve the health of your battery and I cannot imagine what you think might be gained by turning it off?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2023 9:17 AM in response to WickedDoc

Yes, the battery stops charging when it reaches a full state of charge. You can't overcharge an iPhone battery at all. What I'd like to know is why you aren't using the best method for charging your phone, which is actually Optimized Battery Charging. It is designed to preserve the health of your battery and I cannot imagine what you think might be gained by turning it off?

Dec 2, 2023 11:23 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks for answer , really cleared my misconceptions.

So as to why I am not using the optimized charging method , it’s for a couple of reasons. It needs location to be one at all times for it to figure the patterns and I tend to always have my location services off unless I am outside and need the gps , so that my battery lasts more . Also, I spend most days home where I don’t need the max 100% so 80% lasts me fine all day , hence why I use the new 80% limit charging in my phone and when I have a long day , I just turn it off and let the phone charge to 100% overnight . On the long run the 80% will help in battery life compared to the optimized charging which won’t work in my case since I have my locations services off most of the time . Hope that answers your question and do correct if I am wrong .

Dec 2, 2023 2:40 PM in response to WickedDoc

Honestly, you are micromanaging what doesn't need to be micromanaged. Your phone has very sophisticated ways to manage the battery. Far better than you turning location services on and off. My iPhone 14 Pro Max, which used Optimized Battery Charging for one full year, being charged every night, with Wifi on so it would backup to iCloud and Location Services turned on wound up at 100% Battery Health at the end of one full year of ownership. It's been traded now for an iPhone 15 Pro Max, which is being treated exactly the same. I trust Apple's software engineers to ensure I get the best out of my battery and I don't feel any need to micromanage it or override their intelligent software charging.

But you can do as you want with your iPhone.

Battery charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.