Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does optimised charging work when iPhone is switched off?

I charge my phone by shutting it down after plugging it in, to prevent overheating caused by the Apple fast charger(the only charger I have). Will optimised charging work in this case? Can I do this everyday overnight without having any detrimental effect on my iPhone 13's battery?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:27 PM

From my personal experience, I am slow charging my iPhone 13 by powering it off after connecting it to the charger. If it was on, then it would be fast charging. This slow charging causes no increase in temperature of my iPhone at all. I live in an area where ambient temperature is already quite high. Coupled with the heat generated from fast charging, the iPhone gets noticeably hot to touch. I have a MacBook Air M1 and I use the 30W adapter of the MacBook with the lightning cable that came with my iPhone.

Regarding optimised battery charging, I have found conflicting opinions on whether it works when phone is powered off or not. I have been informed it works even when phone is powered off by some people sharing their experiences, whereas others tend to agree on what you mentioned. I personally don't have a set charging routine, so I haven't noticed optimised battery charging take effect even when phone is powered on.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 8:27 PM in response to Axel Foley

From my personal experience, I am slow charging my iPhone 13 by powering it off after connecting it to the charger. If it was on, then it would be fast charging. This slow charging causes no increase in temperature of my iPhone at all. I live in an area where ambient temperature is already quite high. Coupled with the heat generated from fast charging, the iPhone gets noticeably hot to touch. I have a MacBook Air M1 and I use the 30W adapter of the MacBook with the lightning cable that came with my iPhone.

Regarding optimised battery charging, I have found conflicting opinions on whether it works when phone is powered off or not. I have been informed it works even when phone is powered off by some people sharing their experiences, whereas others tend to agree on what you mentioned. I personally don't have a set charging routine, so I haven't noticed optimised battery charging take effect even when phone is powered on.

Mar 16, 2022 8:12 PM in response to dpbasu

You are not gaining anything by turning the iPhone OFF while charging. The iPhone will get warm when charging and that is normal. It is designed to handle light heat (heat that is not too hot to touch) while charging and functioning. You can continue to turn off the iPhone while charging if you want and it is not going to have a detrimental effect on your battery. It is just not necessary.

Optimized Battery Charging will not function while the iPhone is completely OFF and charging. This is because this feature is software controlled.

Axel F.

Mar 16, 2022 11:14 PM in response to dpbasu

When an iPhone is on a charging cycle and on a fast charger, then it will charge fast up to 80% and then charge at a much slower rate until the charge reaches 100%. This behavior is, at times, mistaken for optimized battery charging. It can be viewed as optimized battery charging however that is normal behavior and optimized battery charging is much more than that whereby the charging patterns are monitored and then applied toward a charging rate.

Axel F.

Does optimised charging work when iPhone is switched off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.