You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IP address over ethernet is self-assigned when using a gigabit adapter

Hi,

I'm using a MacBook Air, M2, running Sonoma 14.1.2.

It connects OK to the internet over Wi-Fi but cannot connect over ethernet when using a gigabit adapter in an outbuilding in the garden.

This is the situation:

The garden is small, and we have an office there, but the wi-fi is unreliable as the office has thick walls; therefore, I need to be able to use the ethernet connection we have from the living room in the house to the office.

Scenarios:

1. Macbook can connect on wi-fi everywhere in the house and office (but unreliably in the office).
  2. Macbook can connect on ethernet in the living room, straight from the router, using a Belkin USB-C LAN adapter.
  3. Macbook cannot connect on ethernet in the office, using same Belkin USB-C LAN adapter. It gets a self-assigned IP address, or a green light, but no data comes through.
  4. Husband's iMac can connect on ethernet in the office. His iMac doesn't need an adapter, it has an ethernet port.
  5. Husband's iMac cannot connect on ethernet in the office if ethernet cable is coming out of a TP-Link TL-SG1005D, 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch.

Troubleshooting (none of this solved the problem, apart from number 4 temporarily)

1. Re-started router, laptop.
  2. Contacted my internet provider to check there were no issues with our line.
  3. Started Macbook on safe mode.
  4. Created new user in Macbook with admin rights and connected succesfully in the office. This happened only once and hasn't happened again.
  5. Re-installed previous operating system MacOS Ventura after using repair utility.
  6. Upgraded to Sonoma.
  7. Renewed DHCP lease.
  8. Added DNS servers: 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 1.1.1.1, 9.9.9.9

Summary: MacBook air would only connect to the internet if straight from the router (with the Belkin adapter, as it does not have an ethernet port). If I need to add another step to this physical connection (through the CAT5e socket at the wall in the office, or the TP-Link switch) it self-assigns an address. This is the case for husband's iMac too, it would only work if there are no extra physical steps in the office, i.e. not through the TP-Link switch.

I have tried everything I can think of, and I have read many threads with no solution.

If anyone can crack this horrible puzzle, I would be SO grateful. Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS 14.1

Posted on Dec 2, 2023 11:17 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 3, 2023 2:59 AM in response to John Galt

John, thank you very much for taking the time to read my post and answer it. I really appreciate it, as it has been such a frustrating experience to make any sense of the situation with not much knowledge of any of the parts.

I think you're on the right track, and your suspicion is probably correct, based on your explanation of how Gigabit Ethernet is unforgiving of faults.

I did spot two new things after I wrote this post, which may corroborate your suspicion:

The iMac (which is connecting to the ethernet in the office) is doing the following:

• The speed at which it connects to the internet is so much slower than when connecting a computer to the ethernet straight from the router in the living room.
  • The speed at which the hardware (from System Settings -> Ethernet -> Details -> Hardware -> Configure -> Automatic -> Speed) is 10baseT, which is super slow but, interestingly, automatically chosen as such by the iMac.

I'll let you know what I find once I isolate where the problem is!

Dec 2, 2023 2:54 PM in response to srome21

The extensive troubleshooting you performed seems to indicate the problem lies somewhere between the CAT5e socket at the wall in the office and the router. I realize the iMac was able to connect using that same office socket, but only without the Belkin adapter. Introducing the Belkin adapter causes it to fail. You know the adapter itself is ok though, because you can successfully use it when you connect directly to the router in the living room.

If my understanding is correct, the explanation may be that the Belkin adapter is unable to negotiate a connection through that office socket and the router. What that suggests is a Cat5e connection that is not actually meeting the rigorous Cat5e standards. The Belkin adapter itself may be ok but the connection isn't good enough.

The fact the TP-Link switch causes the same failure may be another indication of that substandard office connection. You didn't say whether it was involved in it or not though, or if you tried a different cable.

Lacking some independent testing equipment, the most expedient way of confirming my suspicion is to completely bypass that office socket with a sufficiently long Ethernet cable. Gigabit Ethernet is unforgiving of substandard connectors or wiring. Not enough twists per inch, or a broken / intermittent connection, and things won't work.

Try bypassing that office Ethernet port. I think you will find the culprit will be in the office connections or cables you had been using, and your challenge is to isolate the cause.

Dec 3, 2023 11:43 AM in response to srome21

The following is paraphrased from my notes regarding a discussion I had with an Apple engineer several years ago. The subject of the discussion was the amount of time it took to establish a fast and reliable Ethernet connection. It was taking on the order of 30 seconds or so, and I was wondering why it took so long to establish compared to a comparably fast wireless connection.

"The minimum protocol required to enable an Ethernet connection is 10Base-T.

"When you connect a 1000Base-T (1 GigE) switch, adapter, or other device, the protocol that communicates the Speed / Duplex / Flow Control between the devices is known as Auto-Negotiation. Auto-Negotiation requires only 2 pairs of conductors. The maximum available capability is subsequently shared between the devices.

"If the maximum shared speed for both sides is agreed to be 1 G then the link needs 4 pairs of conductors to sustain that speed. If only 2 conductor pairs are available, both devices will conclude the 4 pair connection is unreliable in way, and will then enter a search mode to find a speed that will work on any available 2 pairs of conductors."

The conclusion we reached was that "search mode" is not as fast as wireless due to that negotiation. If the hardware implemented to test that link is determined to be sufficiently compromised, it will abandon that 4 pair operation and revert to a lower speed which is sustained for the duration of the connection.

From that discussion I learned that the apparently simple Ethernet connection is not so simple after all, and yes it confirms our suspicion that your office-to-router link is not conforming to Gigabit Ethernet requirements. It may not even be conforming to 100Base-T requirements. I suspect you will ultimately find one or more broken or intermittent conductors or connections, and that repairing them will solve the problem. The required number of twists per inch is specified. Exceeding even the maximum length of any particular un-twisted pairs of conductors can affect its negotiated speed.

Since that discussion I learned a lot more about Gigabit Ethernet. The paraphrased notes I created at the time are exceedingly brief.

Dec 3, 2023 11:49 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks again, John. I have decided to get a tradesman to have a look, as I think it is likely to be something I cannot easily fix myself, as I don't have the equipment or the knowledge to test the sockets or the cable from the house to the office. Your responses and all the troubleshooting I've done really point to that. As soon as I find out what is going on, I'll share!

Dec 15, 2023 5:26 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John, I wanted to thank you again and tell you how my problem got solved. I'm writing to you from the office, connected to the ethernet from the computer, which couldn't go online before :)

An electrician came today. He worked out that pair 2 was failing (when he connected his tester). This was a simple fix, as one of the ends of the cable in the office was loose. However, I couldn't still use a switch, and the speeds in the officer were 9mbps. We get 65 Mbps in the house.

I mentioned your thoughts, and he went ahead and tidied up the connection in the office by shortening the bits of cable in the socket. At this point, he realised some of the cables were brittle and cut enough of them off to get rid of them and reconnect them again.

As a result, things got fixed; I'm using a switch and getting the same speed as in the house.

I'm so grateful for your patience in reading all my troubleshooting and recommending the next steps for me. I'm so happy things are fixed now! It took so much time and effort, and when you responded, I was at the end of my tether with this problem, so hearing your thoughts and recommendations was very valuable. Thank you.

IP address over ethernet is self-assigned when using a gigabit adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.