Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Apple security releases

I have an old Mac book. I want to update the software. It says no updates available. How do I update anyway?

Now running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 I really need to update so I can run my office 365 software.

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 7:00 AM

This was extremely helpful, thank you. My MacBook is a 2009 and it is maxed out on updates, unfortunately. I had one get wet and was trying to update an old one to avoid further expense, oh well. Thanks again for all the help.

4 replies

Dec 4, 2023 1:54 AM in response to craigfromsioux falls

Hi, craigfromsioux falls....assuming your old Mac book is working OK, go to the large Apple icon, top left of your screen, then click on "About this Mac", you should look for a Mac identifier, eg " MacBook XX,y, with the XX being 2 numbers/digits, and the y being another one, or look on the outside of your Mac book's case for an official model number, which looks like this "Axxxx", where the x's are 4 digits/numbers, write down/.do a screenshot, remember both the Mac Book Indentifier in step 1 and the Mac book model in step 2 and go to everymac.com to find your model of Mac Book and what the Maximum (latest)version of the Mac OS it will support....Each version of the Mac OS has requirements. If your Mac meets or exceeds those requirements, then you can run that version of Mac OS, if not, then no, you can't, and thus you can't update... Also, bear in mind that if you try using Software Update to find updates for the Mac OS it won't work that well anymore.... best to try this way to get Mac OS upgrades/Updates (see link(------->>>>

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support (CA)

that link will have almost every version of the Mac os available for download....you should use Safari for downloading. Other browsers will probably work, but you'll have to point them to the App Store (for High Sierra or later) or the other one....

John B

I have an old Mac book. I want to update the software. It says no updates available. How do I update anyway?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.