Time Machine Backups- Can I back up my external SSD in addition to my mac SSD?

I have a new iMac with a 2TB SSD. My iTunes file is almost 1TB. To save space I have moved the iTunes folder to an external T7 Touch SSD. I've remapped Music and TV to the external SSD and it's all working.

I have TimeMachine backing up my iMac to a Lacie external HDD. I would like to add the iTunes folder now on my T7 external SSD to my TimeMachine backups but have been unable to do so. When I open Time Machine settings and click on option I see my two external drives under the exclude from Backups heading but when I highlight the T7 drive the - sign is grayed out.

I need help trying to figure out how to add the iTunes files on the T7 external SSD to my TimeMachine backups.

Help. Please!

Thanks!

iMac 24″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 6:42 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Dec 5, 2023 8:12 AM in response to den.thed

In the process of doing just that now. Taking some time since my iTunes file is almost 1TB.

These forums are helpful.

I spoke to Apple support yesterday and two people told me you cannot back up an external drive with Time Machine. I thought that wasn't correct so I followed up here. Not the best from Apple support folks I spoke to but kudos to Apple for their very good Community forums and to the knowledgable folks that participate.

Time Machine Backups- Can I back up my external SSD in addition to my mac SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.