Unable to activate UPI Payments on Google Pay, PhonePe on new iPhone 15 pro

I am unable to do UPI payments using Google pay or PhonePe on my new iPhone 15 Pro, which has eSIM I called the Google pay customer care and they said it is because the new 15 Pro does not support SMS verification required to verify your mobile number on the UPI system of Google pay. Kindly let me know when this problem will get sorted out.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 6, 2023 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2024 11:37 PM

Using 15 pro both esim.

not able to activate bank account of icici. HDFC and iob got activate without any problem, just that icici is not getting activated. Trying for last 7 days but after three attempts the SMS gets blocked for 24 hours

41 replies

Apr 15, 2024 9:57 AM in response to js1802

I tried your suggestion and reset the network settings. I was able to send the SMS but GPay could not activate my SBI UPI id (@oksbi). However, I am able to use it via PhonePe.

Seems to be a GPay and SBI UPI server specific problem.

As mentioned before, I was able to activate HDFC account via ICICI UPI server (@okicici) and activate SBI also via HDFC UPI server (@okhdfcbank)

Others could try this by adding extra UPI ids in the “Manage UPI IDs” option in Google Pay.

May 19, 2024 8:07 AM in response to MeHigher

To everyone still having this issue!

If you're trying to Re-Activate your bank account mainly if it's SBI, and shows [Couldn't Register], it may not be working as I've had the same issue for three weeks. The easy solution for this requires you to have an Andriod Phone for temporary purpose (i know it's annoying, but helps)

Steps required to make Google Pay accessible!

1. Delete Google Pay on your iPhone.
  2. Take out your SIM Card and put it into an Andriod Phone.
  3. Download GPay on your andriod phone and login to your google account.
  4. Now trying verifying your phone number, and it is supposed to work at this point, which will activate your bank account once again.
  5. Now REMOVE your bank account from the google account. (Disable all autopay, if applicable)
  6. Now log-out from your google account from that andriod phone, and remove your SIM card.
  7. Put it back into your iPhone and RESTART your phone.
  8. Download Google Pay once again, and this time add your bank account this time.
  9. You may face Error Code : U28, at this point please try after 2 hours or so.
  10. Try again after 2 Hours, and it'll work.

It worked for me! Please let me know if there are doubts. Good luck guys!

Apr 18, 2024 2:00 PM in response to js1802

I am facing the same issue. Have been trying to activate bank accounts on GPay for a week now, but keep getting blocked after 3 attempts. GPay support was not helpful and just advised me to keep trying. I have reset network settings also but didn’t help. This is iPhone 15. Has anyone figured out a resolution for this please?

Apr 24, 2024 10:17 PM in response to MeHigher

I am unable to do UPI payments using Google pay or PhonePe on my new iPhone 15 Pro, which has physical sim I called the Google pay customer care and they said it is because the new 15 Pro does not support SMS verification required to verify your mobile number on the UPI system of Google pay. Kindly let me know when this problem will get sorted out.

Dec 6, 2023 12:46 AM in response to MeHigher

iMessage (Blue) -

• iPhone to iPhone: requires internet (Either over WiFi or Cellular Service) as it is sent over internet protocol. Needs Activation on your device.
  • iPhone to Android: Not available

SMS/MMS (Green) -

• iPhone to Android: does not require any internet it is sent over cellular voice protocol. Needs to be enabled by your Carrier for the SIM used by you.
  • iPhone to iPhone: When iMessage is not activated or the device is not connected to the internet either over cellular or WiFi
  • You need to have an SMS/MMS plan enabled by your carrier for the SIM/eSIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS/MMS services.

It will turn from Blue to Green if you have enabled "Send as SMS" and whenever your iPhone is not connected to the internet it is sent as SMS (green) to all iPhone users.

Jun 2, 2024 4:06 AM in response to MeHigher

Due to issues with the SBI server and Google, you need to change your UPI ID from @oksbi to another bank, such as @okicici or @okaxis, on Google Pay. Follow these steps:

1. Opt Out of @oksbi:

• Opt out of using the @oksbi UPI ID.

2. Register on an Android Device:

3. Change UPI ID:

• Go to your profile settings and change your UPI ID from @oksbi to another option such as @okicici or @okaxis.

4. Sign Out from Android Device:

• After updating your UPI ID, sign out of Google Pay on that Android device.

5. Verify Bank on Google Pay:

• Open Google Pay and try verifying your bank account again.

6. Optional: Use a Different Gmail Account:

• Consider using a different Gmail account when changing your UPI ID on the Android device. This helped me resolve my issue.

By following these steps, you should be able to update your UPI ID and verify your bank on Google Pay successfully.

Unable to activate UPI Payments on Google Pay, PhonePe on new iPhone 15 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.