Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Reference a contact in notes

Is there anyway to reference a contact in notes. For instance I found someone to do a particular job for me that I want to get done in the next 6 months. I created a contact and I want to reference that contact in notes. Then click on it and see the company's phone number in contacts. I can add a reference to the maps app. But this does not work with contacts. Please, I'm not looking for work arounds. This particular company is not in the maps app, they are in google maps. If they were in Apple Maps then I can paste a link to maps in notes. I can paste the contact file in but then when I click on it, contacts wants to create a duplicate entry. Doesn't work. Somebody else asked this question and the only answer seemingly made no sense.

EDIT: Do Tags work in Contacts? I'm essentially looking for a way to not have to retype a contacts information in a note. Attaching a contact file doesn't work unless after you delete the contact from contacts so when you click on it you don't create a duplicate. For the time being I am attaching the contact file, because at least it shows the contact name.

Mac mini

Posted on Dec 8, 2023 4:42 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 9, 2023 10:06 AM in response to markfromlandolakes

You can do it with a script.

See these instructions to install the script in the menu bar. It describes Numbers but is adaptable to Contacts.

Open this in Script Editor and adapt it to your needs if you are a bit familiar with AppleScript.

-- This script produces a link to access a specific contact in the application Contacts
-- Recycleur, discussions.apple.com
-- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255333548
-- 2023-12-09

tell application "Contacts"

set theContacts to selection

set theLink to "addressbook://" & id of item 1 of theContacts
	set the clipboard to theLink

display dialog "This is the link for the current contact (in clipboard): " & return & theLink buttons {"Continue"}

end tell

The script will take the selected contact and show you the link to use for direct access to the contact. The link is also already copied to the clipboard for your convenience, so all you have to do is paste it in Notes.

To open the link in Notes, right-click on it and select Open Link in the pop-up menu. You can also try to click on it but strangely it only works if the cursor is on very small and specific spots that are hard to target, so the menu is more reliable.

You can edit the visible text (the name) of the link using Edit Link from the same pop-up menu.

Apr 18, 2024 7:33 PM in response to Recycleur

I have never used Apple scripts before and I was able to copy, create, and run this script and get back a link which opens the contact that I have open when I run the script. So it works for me too but it just seems so awkward. It seems like something simpler and more intuitive, like just creating a link with

addressbook://Contact_Name

or some similar format. I guess there could be two contacts with the same name but that could just error or return both/all.

Btw, I want to paste links to contacts in Freeform boards where I have for example all my medical stuff and providers in one board and I want to add links that when i click on Dr.'s name, it just opens the right contact card on my Mac. So I am doing this all within Apple apps and it seems to me there should be some simpler way!

Anyway, thank you for this solution for now!

David

Reference a contact in notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.