tvOS 17.2 Apple TV App Wishlist

I have just updated to 17.2 on both of my 4K ATVs (2017 and 2021 model), the new ATV app is nice and all, certainly faster than the old Movies and TV Series app, especially the TV Series app when it comes to a show like 'Supernatural', where it would often take 20 to 30secs to load everything in.

HOWEVER, what I don't like is both my wishlist (from the Movies app), and favourites (from the TV series app) are completely gone.

I had almost 200 movies in my wishlist, and now, nothing, they are just gone.

Granted the wishlist / favourites on the ATV never synced with any other device (eg. if I looked at iTunes on my PC, or the store on my iPad, I could never see what I had wishlisted or favourited on my ATV), but still.

It would have been nice if those could have been rolled into the new ATV app and force-synced with the rest of the Apple ecosystem.

I guess I should have been more prepared and manually gone through both and written down everything that was in there, but still.

I will never be able to manually rebuild those 2 lists :(

Apple TV HD, tvOS 14

Posted on Dec 11, 2023 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 2:08 AM

They want to merge everything into ONE program they say. Fine.

Now AppleTv is a MESS.

Everything is cramped together on one page :

I want to rent and watch movies, I dont want "advertising" about tv series

I want to rent and watch movies, I dont want "advertising" about AppleTv+

I want to rent and watch movies, I dont want "advertising" about other streaming services

Its a mess. The young restless people probably love this caos

I am older, I know what I want, and I do not do Impulse purchases.

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2023 2:08 AM in response to rayherring

They want to merge everything into ONE program they say. Fine.

Now AppleTv is a MESS.

Everything is cramped together on one page :

I want to rent and watch movies, I dont want "advertising" about tv series

I want to rent and watch movies, I dont want "advertising" about AppleTv+

I want to rent and watch movies, I dont want "advertising" about other streaming services

Its a mess. The young restless people probably love this caos

I am older, I know what I want, and I do not do Impulse purchases.

Dec 18, 2023 11:02 AM in response to lkrupp

I disagree with the comment's suggestion that it's somehow incumbent upon the users to rationalize for the company their disappointment with the removal of the feature, unannounced. Rather, it's intuitive to expect that the company would instead provide rationale to the USERS for the removal of the feature, and offer the users a path to retrieving the data listed within the feature.

As it stands, the feature is gone, its deletion was unannounced, and users have not been offered recourse to recover their data. I see no reason the users' collective disappointment should go into the trashcan -- that would seem only to reaffirm a refusal to admit the mistakes, which will only further deteriorate the users' confidence in the product.

Dec 12, 2023 11:44 AM in response to JJUser82

No you can't.

The 'Movies' and 'TV Shows' app on the Apple TV never synced up with anything else.

If I go to my iPad or Windows PC or Macbook and fire up iTunes, then go to 'Wishlist', there are only 3 things in there.

Those 3 things are what I added years ago to my wishlist in iTunes itself.

The wishlist (From the Movies app) and favourites (From the TV Shows app) on the Apple TV could only be retrieved from another Apple TV device.

tvOS 17.2 Apple TV App Wishlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.