How do I configure my iPhone to vibrate ONLY for phone calls?

I have tried everything, but cannot configure my iPhone to vibrate ONLY for incoming phone calls. Have set to Silent Mode, as well as Haptics > Play in Silent mode.

Go to Sounds & Haptics, set None to every Alert (Haptic and Alert Tone) except Ringtone, but still most apps vibrate when sending a push message. I've even gone to the individual apps (Amazon for instance), and turned off Sounds, but it will still vibrate when I add an item to my cart.

How is this possible when I have every alert/tone/voicemail/mail in Sounds & Haptics configured to Haptics > None.

Does anyone have a solve here? It's been driving me mad for years.

Amazon setting that will still vibrate when I add to cart:

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 6:23 AM

The issue is that I still would like my phone screen to turn on and see the alert, and it seems that Focus will mute all notifications and send them to the notification center without turning on phone screen.

I would like the phone to behave exactly as usual, except no Vibration for any alert except Phone Call. For all other apps, screen will light up and a notification will show on screen as usual, just without sound or vibration.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2023 6:23 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The issue is that I still would like my phone screen to turn on and see the alert, and it seems that Focus will mute all notifications and send them to the notification center without turning on phone screen.

I would like the phone to behave exactly as usual, except no Vibration for any alert except Phone Call. For all other apps, screen will light up and a notification will show on screen as usual, just without sound or vibration.

Mar 21, 2024 6:15 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I completely see the point here. Sometimes you want your phone to not make a single sound expect a ringtone for actual phone calls. This is why I found this. I have two iPhones. One for work and one personal. I just got the work phone. I want it to not have haptics and sounds for anything but calls. It appears there is no answer other than turning off all other notifications. Which makes my phone something I must to check constantly. I agree with the Apple Watch making it easier, but I already have a Garmin synced to my personal phone. My only option would be to get an Apple watch for my work phone. I’m not going to be the guy wearing two watches. There must be a better way to have your phone only ring for calls. Come on Apple. Please go old school and have a screen that we choose how we want our phone to act. Sounds and haptics has too many options. Set up modes that we can choose depending on where we are. It’d be nice to have a movie, meeting, bike ride etc. option to quickly switch modes between. That’s my only solution I can think of. Open to all options from anyone that can help. Thanks for starting this question.

Dec 12, 2023 6:35 AM in response to rafcity

Are you asking how to set your phone so that the only notifications you get are from calls? If so, I'd suggest you use Focus. Go to Settings>Focus>Do Not Disturb (or create a new one). Make sure that there are no apps selected in Allow Notifications>Apps. Tap on Allow Notifications>People>Phone Calls>Allow Calls From>Everybody.

You turn the focus on or off through the Control Center. Tap on the circular picture icon on the Focus button to turn it on or off.

I think, if the focus is enabled and you put the phone in silent mode using the button, you should only get vibrating notifications from calls. You could go one step further and buy/create a "silent" ringtone and set that as the default ringtone.

Dec 13, 2023 6:46 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I have done that for many of the apps, Amazon for example (can see screenshots in original post), but Amazon will still vibrate when I add an item to the cart (something I can readily test consistently). I have no idea how it is able to vibrate as I have all Sounds & Haptics > Alert (text tone/mail/alerts) > Haptics set to NONE and the Sounds set to OFF for the Amazon App via Settings > Amazon > Notifications > Sounds OFF.

Any idea?

Mar 22, 2024 7:30 AM in response to Grant4130

Grant4130 wrote:

I want it to not have haptics and sounds for anything but calls. It appears there is no answer other than turning off all other notifications.

Why not use Focus? Go to Settings>Focus>Do Not Disturb (or whichever one you prefer). Tap on "People". Make sure "Allow Notifications From" is checked. Make sure there are no people selected. Under "Allow Calls From", choose "Everybody". Go back and tap on "Apps". Make sure no apps are selected there. Now, when you have Do Not Disturb turned on, you will get calls from anyone but not get any other notifications.

How do I configure my iPhone to vibrate ONLY for phone calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.