Sorry, there was a problem with Apple Podcasts - Homepod

When asking Siri for my update, she fails to play the latest news and says “Sorry, there was a problem with Apple Podcasts”. This happens on Homepod and on iPhone. I’m in Canada and used to have CTV as my news source, which seems to be causing the problem. On iphone, it shows that the Newsflash episode is no longer available. When I ask Siri to change my news to CNN for example, she confirms the change but then tries to play CTV again when I ask for my update. Any help is appreciated.

HomePod mini

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2024 12:39 PM

Same issue here. Since it mentioned "There is something wrong with Apple Podcast", I tested out other news podcasts such as CBC, Global, BBC and CNN, they all work fine. I already submit a feedback to Apple, hope they will look into it.

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 29, 2024 11:18 AM in response to Lorax42

A quick update as I just finished chatting with Apple Support over an hour ago. The Podcast I used to listen to when I ask Siri for morning updates, turn out to be CTV News Flash Briefing and it's not available anymore on Apple's side; I believe it has been discontinued by CTV itself. Unfortunately there seems to be no easy way to teach Siri to set a different news podcast to take its place, so the thing goes into a loop. Every time it will say "sorry, there is something wrong with Apple Podcast" to no end. Guess those living in Canada who used to this particular podcast are stuck until one day we can choose a different one as our default podcast whenever we ask Siri for our daily updates.

May 27, 2024 6:44 AM in response to raphaelectric

I’m having the exact same problem as everybody else on here when I ask Siri what my update is. My default new service through Apple podcast was CBC The World This Hour podcast. The funny thing is if you ask Siri to play The World This Hour she will on HomePod. However, if you ask what my update is, it won’t play the news portion. To me it seems like this should be some low hanging fruit for the Dev team to figure out. It just isn’t affecting enough people to be that high on their priority list, I’m guessing. C’mon Apple it’s the little things that count. If you’re going to release something… make sure it continues to work for your customers.

Jun 13, 2024 10:47 AM in response to raphaelectric

So I have a theory on this as it seems to be a Canada only problem…

When the federal government implemented all those rules about social media and other organizations having to pay to share news from Canada’s media outlets this also affected Apple. Instead of Apple telling customers we cant offer this feature anymore they just removed it and didn’t tell anyone. I suspect that if they told people reparations would need to be made to the owners of these devices as they removed a feature that was heavily advertised and shown in demo materials and many may have bought HomePods for this feature.

I asked Siri to switch the news source to CNN and it now works flawlessly. Ask to switch back, “Sorry, there’s a problem with Apple Podcasts”

I have no evidence, but given how long this has been happening, absolutely everyone I know having the same problem and customer care claiming they’ve never heard of this issue before….. seems likely.

On a side note news has been pulled from Facebook and Google News….. Apple news is a subscription service so I understand why news outlets still appear there.

Jun 13, 2024 3:16 PM in response to WitVulco86

Unfortunately, I live in Alaska, so that Canada theory does not hold up for me...I have been having this happen about every two to three months. It does not coincide with updates to the OS's. Sometimes I unplug, reset, etc... the HomePod and it gets resolved. Sometimes I wait for a while or a day and it works again.

The strange thing is if my iPhone hears me ask for the update it all plays just fine on my iPhone. Go figure. I submit a feedback report to apple every time. We have become quite close, ha ha.

Sorry, there was a problem with Apple Podcasts - Homepod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.