Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My iPhone was stolen and I’m receiving spam/threats, is my information safe?

my phone was stolen a few weeks ago and I immediately activated the Lost mode and started erasing the device but since it’s been disconnected, it’s still pending on my end. Since then, I’ve been receiving various texts saying my information is about to be sold off and I even got a threatening message this morning. I’m just worried about my information, I changed my iCloud password too but I just want to make sure they won’t access any of my information.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 9:13 AM

Assuming that you enabled a passcode on your phone, your data is safe. There is no way that anyone could guess your passcode in less than 10 tries.

The messages that you are seeing are trying to scare you and trick you into tapping on a link to provide the bad guys with your log on credentials so they can get into your phone. Do not respond or tap on any links in a message like this.

You might also receive a message from "Apple" or "Apple Support" that claims that your phone has been found. This message is trying to do the same thing. Apple will never send a message like this, so you know that this is a scam.

Also, do not remove the phone from your list of devices. If you do this, you give the bad guys open access to your phone.

It may not help, but I would contact the police regarding the threats.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2023 9:13 AM in response to mikaylalex

Assuming that you enabled a passcode on your phone, your data is safe. There is no way that anyone could guess your passcode in less than 10 tries.

The messages that you are seeing are trying to scare you and trick you into tapping on a link to provide the bad guys with your log on credentials so they can get into your phone. Do not respond or tap on any links in a message like this.

You might also receive a message from "Apple" or "Apple Support" that claims that your phone has been found. This message is trying to do the same thing. Apple will never send a message like this, so you know that this is a scam.

Also, do not remove the phone from your list of devices. If you do this, you give the bad guys open access to your phone.

It may not help, but I would contact the police regarding the threats.

Mar 19, 2024 4:16 PM in response to mikaylalex

same issue here! iphone 15 pro stollen a month ago. it was turned off immediately. o put it in a lost mode( put my husbands number to contact) and then erased mode. i called provider t mobile and blocked Imei number of that phone.

it has been one month, erase is still pending. and now i am getting theretening messages demanding that i delete this phone from my apple id . what happen with you case? i don’t understand how are they able to reach me. they are sending me messages yesterday it was pretend message from Apple today from +63953

here is the message:

“Yo!!

Iv’e bought an iPhone 15 Pro Max I’m using, it have your messages, emails, cards, bank, notes and personal information on it even your SIM # that you transferred, I get your calls. It was not erased. Did you made an insurance claim?”

Mar 19, 2024 5:27 PM in response to AnyaPLA

my son got the same exact message. Later that day he got a message saying the phone was for his daughter and he begged to have him erased and delete from his network. Finally after my son didn’t respond they sent a threatening email stating some horrible things if he didn’t detach phone from network. He didn’t respond to anything and now they quit contacting him. I was very scared as a Mom.

Mar 14, 2024 12:10 PM in response to mikaylalex

My Son had his phone stolen a few months ago. Now he is receiving death threats if he doesn’t detach his device. I understand it could be a scam but scary none the less. He will obviously contact the local PD but how does one get his phone number? Is there a way to get the phone number off the stolen phone? His phone was placed in lost mode right away. He has his roommates number to call in case found. Not his?

Mar 14, 2024 12:31 PM in response to EB-17

Re: “… but how does one get his [my son’s] phone number? Is there a way to get the phone number off the stolen phone? …

The criminals likely used your son’s SIM to learn your Son’s number before he was able to report the theft to your carrier.

(Something not possible w/ modern eSIMs)

Law enforcement - backed-up by the carriers - have other tracing / tracking tools at their disposal.

I’d think that a death threat should be sufficient for their “investigative” wheels to be set in-motion.

Mar 21, 2024 11:34 PM in response to Sfs48

mine was stollen in Los Angeles.

after that message i recived another one where they claim to be in china and that they bought the phone from black market for his daughter and begging to delete it,

next day i recived serious threats, very disturbing messages, and videos with some guy holding a gun! 🤯 but the messages don’t make any sence, they are claiming they know where i am in miami, and they are coming for me. very disturbing, yet i understand it is probably an automated message. anyways i reported them to police. and just now i recived an EMAIL from FIND MY : “activation lock is requesting your password…. “ it looks very legit but i am 100 % sure it is them again. not pressing any links . went to apple store today, showed them everything that’s happening and they are puzzled as well, no one has a clear understanding how are they able to reach me

Mar 25, 2024 1:26 PM in response to mikaylalex

I had my phone stolen in SF in Jan, and I started getting messages saying, theyll hack into my phone and steal my data and only yesterday I received a horrible threat with the video of a gun and some really disturbing words but im not sure even if i remove my device will everything get erased for sure or if they might still have access to some content, i haven’t removed it but its not great getting these horrific texts

Mar 25, 2024 1:40 PM in response to shrebhan

shrebhan wrote:

I had my phone stolen in SF in Jan, and I started getting messages saying, theyll hack into my phone and steal my data and only yesterday I received a horrible threat with the video of a gun and some really disturbing words but im not sure even if i remove my device will everything get erased for sure or if they might still have access to some content, i haven’t removed it but its not great getting these horrific texts

DO NOT remove your device from your account. Their threats are scary, but they aren't going to come after you. They're pretty much guaranteed to be outside the country. But if you remove your device, you unlock the phone for them, which is what they want you to do. I know its difficult, but IGNORE them. Don't respond to them at all. They'll go away when the realize you won't do what they want.

My iPhone was stolen and I’m receiving spam/threats, is my information safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.