Why is my iphone and husband's iphone suddenly sharing photos from camera?

Since updating devices to IOS17.1, photos taken with my husband's iphone camera are appearing on my iphone camera roll, and vice versa. This did not happen in the past. Also, backing up my Google Photos library just says "backing up" but never progresses further.

iPhone 13

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 4:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2023 5:35 PM

When I toggle "sync this iphone" so it is off, it says it will remove my photos from the iphone! or it gives me the option to "download photos & videos," but then tells me i don't have enough storage to do this. I have tried doing the regular backup option through Google Photos so I won't lose any photos, but it will not get beyond the spinning circle. I feel like it has me in a vicious cycle.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2023 5:35 PM in response to muguy

When I toggle "sync this iphone" so it is off, it says it will remove my photos from the iphone! or it gives me the option to "download photos & videos," but then tells me i don't have enough storage to do this. I have tried doing the regular backup option through Google Photos so I won't lose any photos, but it will not get beyond the spinning circle. I feel like it has me in a vicious cycle.

Dec 15, 2023 7:59 PM in response to Beckyann2022

Not sure why you are seeing a change now, iCloud Photos has always synced photos with all devices that share the same Apple ID. That is how it has always worked to give you the same photos on all of your devices. It is possible either you or your husband did not have iCloud Photos turned on before. In that case, you would each have your photo library that would not be shared. If you are the primary and still want access to all of the photos using iCloud, they you may want to have him turn off "Sync this phone" and if he has room on his device, then a copy of all the photos will be saved there as well. If he does not have room, he can choose not to download them and you can airdrop any photo he wants. With that said, Apple still does not recommend family members share the same Apple ID.

You do have the option to have seperate Apple ID's and still share purchases or subscriptions by using Family Sharing. This Support Article will help you with that.

Make sure that each family member has a unique Apple ID - Apple Support

As seen in that article, Apple recommends that each family member should have their own Apple ID. If you do not want to share purchases or subscriptions, then you do not need to use the Family Sharing approach. He can start with a fresh Apple ID by creating a new one. He will have to have a different email address to use as that Apple ID. Then he will just need to sign out of the current Apple ID and sign in with the new one. Any apps that were downloaded with the previous Apple ID will no longer be able to be updated, so they should be deleted and then downloaded with the new Apple ID. If the app was purchased, you would need to pay for them again with the new Apple ID. Any content on your iPhone that he wants back on his, such as photos or contacts can be AirDropped to him.

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

You have 3 choices:

• Shut off iCloud Photos on one of the devices. A couple of reasons why Apple does not recommend sharing the Apple ID is that it is possible that you may see each others messages if you use iMessage and have it set to receive by your ID. Also you may get each others Voicemails.
  • Create new Apple ID and set up family sharing to share purchases and subscriptions.
  • Create new Apple ID and do not use family sharing.

Dec 16, 2023 1:10 AM in response to Beckyann2022

Has the Shared iCloud Photo Library become enabled on your husband's iPhone?

the Shared iCloud Photos Library has an option to add any new photo automatically to the Shared Library.

Then he should turn this off: How to use iCloud Shared Photo Library - Apple Support

• Go to Settings > Photos, then tap Shared Library. Tap Sharing from Camera and make sure it's turned off.
  • Also, he should move all shared photos that you do not want on your iPhone from his Shared iCloud Photos Library back to his personal Photos Library.

Apr 16, 2024 4:22 PM in response to antnay56

antnay56 wrote:

Our phones have never synced with each other (pictures specifically) either until the last update over the weekend of April 13, 2024. We both use the same Apple ID and have pictures saved to iCloud. Something must have changed in the update. We have checked every single setting that we have on both phones and nothing has changed. This is extremely frustrating!!

Yes, things changed with the release of iOS 17. It's time for each of you to have your own Apple ID.

See this very helpful article:

How to “unshare” an Apple ID - Apple Community

Those directions should minimize any problems.

Apr 16, 2024 6:28 PM in response to antnay56

antnay56 wrote:

Our phones have never synced with each other (pictures specifically) either until the last update over the weekend of April 13, 2024. We both use the same Apple ID and have pictures saved to iCloud. Something must have changed in the update. We have checked every single setting that we have on both phones and nothing has changed. This is extremely frustrating!!

Since iOS 8.3, that is always how iCloud Photos has worked. The whole purpose of using iCloud Photos is to have the same pictures on 2 devices using the same Apple ID. When you take a picture on 1 device, it will appear on the other. If that is not how it worked for you previously, then one of your devices did not have iCloud Photos turned on. With iOS 17, there was no change with iCloud Photos, but you will see more things sync automatically with the same Apple ID such as your call logs and voicemail.

Here are the instructions in the previous iOS version (16) that explains how iCloud Photos works:

iCloud Photos automatically keeps every photo and video you take in iCloud, so you can access your library from any device, anytime you want. Any changes you make to your collection on one device change on your other devices too.

Use iCloud Photos on iPhone - Apple Support

Dec 15, 2023 5:51 PM in response to Beckyann2022

If you no longer want to sync your phone with iCloud, you should free up as much space as you can on your phone and in iCloud by deleting the photos/videos that you no longer want. This may give you the space needed to download the photos.

You also have the option to not download the photos & videos when shutting of syncing. Then have your husband AirDrop the photos/videos that you do want on your phone. The number of photos you will be able to AirDrop will depend on how much storage space you have on your phone.

I'm not familiar with the Google Photos options.

Apr 16, 2024 4:14 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Why is my iphone and husband's iphone suddenly sharing photos from camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.