Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Whatsapp Desktop for OS 10.15.7

I'm using a MacBook Pro mid 2012 with Catalina 10.15.7 and the latest version of Whatsapp desktop vers 2.23.24.80 can't be installed on this OS.

Anyone know which version of Whatsapp Desktop will work ?

It is possible to find earlier versions on the internet but I'm trying to avoid downloading and trying dozens of versions to find the latest one that will work ?

A wok around is to use the web version but it is a bit more cumbersome than the Desktop version

Thank you , Pat

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 16, 2023 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2024 9:51 AM

Same problem here, when you download an older version the program automatically makes the update installing it and you can't run it... I'm using Catalina 10.15.7... Anyone has a solution?

49 replies

Feb 26, 2024 12:50 PM in response to PatrickJT

After working with FreeChat the application hasn't been updated in a while and it's buggy. The best solution is to open Whatsapp web in Google Chrome. Then go to the 3 dot menu -> Save and Share -> Install Whatsapp Web. This saves the Whatsapp web as an individual application that will have its own dock icon and work exactly as the old Whatsapp. Give it a try, it's a great solution.

Feb 17, 2024 9:33 PM in response to PatrickJT

I had the same problem but my problem was resolved by using another application, namely FreeChat for Whatsapp from Rocky Sand Studio Ltd which you can find in the App Store on your Mac.

The appearance and features are very similar or could even be said to be the same as my previous WhatsApp desktop. I hope this helps.

https://apps.apple.com/id/app/freechat-for-whatsapp/id1084346074?mt=12

Feb 7, 2024 9:38 AM in response to PatrickJT

It seems that while older versions of WhatsApp can be downloaded and installed, when activated, the program automatically looks for the latest update and there's no way to stop it doing that. The result is the same old message that an upgrade in OS is required and since I'm running a perfectly functional but apparently outdated Mac mid 20212 MacBook Air with Catalina, there is no other option but to use the web version of WhatsApp. Sigh.

Dec 16, 2023 9:00 AM in response to PatrickJT

Hi there!

Had the same problem and went back to last week's Version 2.2349.51 which you can just look up or find it here:

Whatsapp Versions

What I noticed though is, that when the desktop version crashed my phone still tried to connect to the macbook in terms of linked devices and I ended up having 4 connections from the same macbook pro so keep an eye out...

Otherwise some screenshots that apparently we have switch to the whatsappweb but for now I'll stick to the old release...

Feb 9, 2024 1:22 PM in response to maxkif

Your suggestion seemed quite logical, so I followed the directions you posted and disabled the automatic update option. I even tried consecutively loading three older versions but each time the prompt would not allow any alternatives other than to update before proceeding with opening WhatsApp.

After the step above was completed, the following message popped up when attempting to run an older version of WhatsApp.

Feb 19, 2024 8:49 AM in response to PatrickJT

Had the same problem. The only versión that worked for me is 2.2353.64 which I was able to recover using Time Machine. But this really sucks, every time that WhatsApp releases an update, this happens. I'm using WhatsApp web instead and using the feature "Download App" from Chrome which allow me to have the WhatsApp web as an independent window and right now it works better than the official desktop app for Catalina. I fact, now I can use the play pause button for my music which the desktop app seems to damage once is open.

Whatsapp Desktop for OS 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.