Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iMessage "syncing paused" error with iCloud

Since updating to 17.0, there has been a banner on the bottom of iMessage that says "syncing paused". I've tried turning iCloud sync off and on, a soft reset, iCloud re-login attempts and various other toggles.

Manually forcing "sync now" in iCloud backup settings does not work either.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 26, 2023 7:44 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 4, 2024 7:58 AM in response to rajgark

Has there been any resolution to this? While the Status says “Synching paused” it seems all new messages continue to synch across all my Apple devices. Should this message be ignored?

Has anyone tried changing the Keep Messages timeframe? Mine is set to Forever but I have plenty of disk available on my phone and in iCloud. It says I have about 41K messages in the cloud.

Apr 1, 2024 10:23 AM in response to mariefrancem

Hi! I just figured out how to fix the "syncing paused" issue.... Open System Settings < [Your Name] Apple ID < iCloud < Locate "Apps Using iCloud" and select 'Show More Apps' < then select Messages in iCloud then 'Staus' and then click 'Sync Now'

It may take a while depending on how many messages you have in cloud but I hope this helps ☺️

iMessage "syncing paused" error with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.