When replying to email, Apple Mail changing the sending email address. Why? How to prevent this?

I have multiple email address attached to my Apple mail account. The 'to' email address of the incoming mail is changed on the 'from' to the iCloud account (a default account created by apple that I never use) when replying. Then it fails and I have to manually change the 'from' email to the appropriate one which does work. Why is this happening? What can I do to avoid this problem? Is it a glitch or an unintended consequence of the apple code?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 31, 2023 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2023 1:18 PM

Did you check your setting in Mail Preferences:

"If you want to use the same From address for all your messages, choose

Mail > Preferences, click Composing, click the “Send new messages

from” pop-up menu, then choose an email account. Or choose instead to

have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email

address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently

selected mailbox and message."

Address emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

(under the heading "Set your From email address")

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2023 1:18 PM in response to Sylvia205

Did you check your setting in Mail Preferences:

from” pop-up menu, then choose an email account. Or choose instead to

have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email

address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently

selected mailbox and message."

Address emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

(under the heading "Set your From email address")

Jun 17, 2024 6:47 PM in response to Sylvia205

Just an addition: I've had the same problem for a long time.

Setting

from” pop-up menu, then choose an email account...."

This setting works for a while then mysteriously changes to "select best address" after a few months.

I have to keep resetting it.

Do OS updates sometime zap this setting?

Dec 31, 2023 5:12 PM in response to ishrugged

It is marked as "select best account." But I am them confused by the remainder of your response. What would the address of the "first recipient" have to do with selecting the best SENDING account? It seems that would produce wildly random results having nothing to do with message's original recipient and now the sending. In practice it seems to be choosing a different sending email that doesn't work and can't be sent. So, what am I missing in your reply?

Jan 1, 2024 12:33 PM in response to Sylvia205

Sylvia205 wrote:

It is marked as "select best account." But I am them confused by the remainder of your response. What would the address of the "first recipient" have to do with selecting the best SENDING account? It seems that would produce wildly random results having nothing to do with message's original recipient and now the sending. In practice it seems to be choosing a different sending email that doesn't work and can't be sent. So, what am I missing in your reply?

If you have selected "select best account" it will choose different accounts for different replies. If you want it to use the same one each time, change your selection in the preferences.

The quoted answer is from Apple's own documentation. The use of the recipient email to choose an ongoing email server would be, for example, choosing your gmail.com outgoing server to send to a gmail.com recipient.

When replying to email, Apple Mail changing the sending email address. Why? How to prevent this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.