📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to allow access to Sony imaging software

Trying to update firmware for a Sony camera through Apple mac o/s: 12.6.9

Security settings seem to be blocking software, but under Preferences/Security there’s no provision to allow access to other software ie Sony Imaging Products & Solutions Inc. Apparently there should be a drop-down box where you can enter the name of a driver. But there isn't any provision. So I'm stuck.

thank you.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 7:18 AM

10 replies

Jan 1, 2024 9:14 AM in response to LondonPete

I assume you are following Sony instructions, but just in case here is the full set of instructions:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7m3/software/00257843

Scroll down to the section titled "How to download the Sony Camera Driver."

There are two different drivers, one for Intel Mac another for Apple Silicon. The firmware updater is a separate download.

(You may also need to download & install the Sony Imaging Edge Desktop app first. See https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7m3/downloads)

Apr 16, 2024 11:15 AM in response to MartinR

Sorry to hijack your thread MartinR, but you might be able to help me!

I've spent hours investigating how to use my Sony A6300 in Zoom as a webcam after upgrading to a Macbook Pro M1 Pro OS 14.4.1 Sonoma. It used to work perfectly on my old Intel Mac.

The Sony A6300 firmware v. 2.01 was last updated at the start of 2018 no less!

I've just installed Zoom 6.0.0 and erased all traces of previous versions.

I've re-installed Sony's Imaging Edge v. 1.2.00.02080 (& Remote v. 3.7.01.02290) although they are not officially supported by Sonoma - but miraculously, I can now at least use Sony's Remote and see what my camera sees...

I have just installed Camera_Driver_2110a.dmg (hope that was the right thing to do - I had to reduce kernel security). It didn't make any positive difference, unfortunately.

And yet, Zoom/settings/video still only has two options: OBS Virtual Camera (with the video camera icon crossed out) & FaceTime HD Camera. Imaging Edge still refuses to appear there :(

Any ideas what I could try next? I would be very, very grateful if you are able to help!

Thanks very much indeed!

May 28, 2024 6:25 PM in response to LondonPete

I had the same problem. I have an Intel based MacBook Pro. I was able to find the setting for the updater software under Settings-->Privacy and Security-->scroll down o Security and I saw this message "Some system software requires your attention before it can be used". Click Details and enable the Sony software.

This worked for me.

Good luck.

Jan 1, 2024 8:03 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks for replying. It’s a A7iii (Sony identify it as a ILCE-7ME)

going from firmware 2 to 4. It’s a secondhand camera, so a new process on this computer.

Sony instructions is to download driver (dmg file) & open. Up pops an installation app. But after normal security settings a dialog box pops up saying I need to install Sony camera driver (which I know!) then closes down. So it’s getting confused somewhere.

Apr 16, 2024 11:44 AM in response to abcd-abcd

abcd-abcd wrote:

Sorry to hijack your thread MartinR, but you might be able to help me!
I've spent hours investigating how to use my Sony A6300 in Zoom as a webcam after upgrading to a Macbook Pro M1 Pro OS 14.4.1 Sonoma. It used to work perfectly on my old Intel Mac.

You should post your question as a new thread with an appropriate title.

May 29, 2024 6:00 AM in response to AGx3

Thanks AGx3 for your helpful reply.

My Macbook Pro M1 Pro running OS Sonoma 14.4.1 shows in System Report that there is a "ILCE-6300" on it's native USB bus, and I can view the output of my Sony A6300 using Sony's "Remote" Mac app (part of Sony's "Imaging Edge" packge), but the camera still does not appear as a video option in Zoom or OBS. If I could find a setting to enable, I'd enable it... but sadly I can't! (or any workarounds...).

I just really like using a DSLR for Zoom calls.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Thank you.

Unable to allow access to Sony imaging software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.