Trackpad too sensitive, reacts when palm lightly touches it

Hi All,

Love my M2 MacBook Air running the latest version of Sonoma (14.1.2), but am finding that my right palm keeps highlighting & triggering line deletes like never before. I do not have Tap-to-click enabled, and my typing style hasn't changed, so it's puzzling and annoying.

In previous OSes, there was a trackpad setting to make the trackpad less sensitive to accidental touches, but it seems Apple has removed that. Is there some other way to stop this from happening? Some other setting that may be triggering it? All of my settings are the same as they've been for decades, I don't type any differently, and I'm not pressing down on the trackpad.

Any thoughts?

I'd be grateful for a solution if anyone has got one. 🙏🏽

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2024 9:29 AM

Anybody? Am I asking this in the wrong forum?... 🤷🏻‍♂️

I can't be the only one who has had this issue, right?

Similar questions

9 replies

May 12, 2024 2:46 PM in response to Mick Guinn

I'm having similar issue with my MacBook Pro M2 but not with palming. By normally using fingers to move mouse position it sometimes starts clicking randomly, sometimes three times at once. It started in April, not sure if with the 14.4.1 update because I use to use Magic Mouse. Also, this doesn't happen always, like today it didn't happen, but there are days that it's impossible to use it (maybe sensitive with weather changes?)

Apr 7, 2024 3:36 PM in response to dr_malus

Still have never seen "enable keyboard focus" and have no idea what you mean there.

Please post a screenshot of that setting and what you mean?

I've been using Macs exclusively for well over three decades. This is a laptop, and ultimately, I need to find a way to prevent the trackpad from highlighting lines of text and deleting them.

This happens because the pad of one's right hand (below the thumb) hovers over the right side of the trackpad which is nearly an inch offset from the space bar. Apple should have matched the space bar size because the proper way to type involves your index fingers sitting on the "F" and "J" keys.

I don't know why Apple thinks that we need such a large trackpad on their laptops these days, but it's a shame there's not a way to "deaden" it (or the right side) so it doesn't interfere with writing. As I mentioned in the original post, there used to be a system setting to address this, but now there is not.

May 22, 2024 8:50 AM in response to ctatsch

Do you have "Tap-to-click" enabled?

If you do, try disabling it and see if you can retrain your muscle memory to use a physical click.

When I had an Apple repair and support biz, we'd turn on Tap to Click when a MacBook was on our bench because we had so many things to install that it saved time. But it never worked well if you wanted to have your laptop in your lap and surf the web or write.

Mar 27, 2024 11:30 AM in response to Mick Guinn

I understand, but this is not a physical problem. As you mentioned before, you didn't have such a problem before update.

I have no idea what "enable the keyboard focus tracking: while typing option," means...

It is in the system settings but don't bother with it because it didn't solve it in the end.

Today I updated it to Sonoma 14.4.1, I have an m1 pro and it froze many times with an external display.

I was able to solve this by turning off the automatic brightness control. The update seems to have fixed this issue however, now I have the same problem as you.

I've been using a Mac for more than 10 years, I love it, but I've never had such a bad operating system with so many bugs like this one.

Trackpad too sensitive, reacts when palm lightly touches it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.