Would Wine allow me to play Buckshot Roulette on my MacBook without any lag?

I am considering Wine as an alternative to paying for an emulator for playing Buckshot Roulette on my 2012 MacBook Pro, and although i have looked into it and people say Wine is safe, other people have said it doesnt work that well, but as my MacBook is a fairly good laptop that runs much more intensive programs (i.e. Ableton Live 11 Suite, Geforce Now, Discord etc) and Buckshot Roulette is only 200MB i would have thought it would run fairly well, but im not 100% sure so i just thought id ask, would i be able to play Buckshot Roulette smoothly on my MacBook using Wine?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2024 12:52 PM

Even though you have a 2012 MacBook Pro, this answer works for people with M1 / M2 chip Macs as well. The other person mentioned using a software with a GUI wrapper for WINE, which I full on agree with. I just wanted to give my two cents and recommend an application "Whisky". I think it has a much cleaner, intuitive, user interface. I own a copy of buckshot roulette and running it through Whisky works perfectly!

To install Buckshot Roulette on Whisky:

• In whisky either click "Create Bottle" or click the plus in the top right.

• Name your bottle, make sure "Windows 10" is selected and click "Create".

• With your new bottle selected on the lefthand side list, click "Open C: Drive".

• A finder window will appear, simply just drag your Buckshot Roulette executable into the window.

• Back in Whisky click "Pin Program".

• Then click "Browse".

• Select the executable you added and click "Open".

• Click "Pin".

• Double click your new pin and That's It! Your game should boot up!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2024 12:52 PM in response to anarcyxt

Even though you have a 2012 MacBook Pro, this answer works for people with M1 / M2 chip Macs as well. The other person mentioned using a software with a GUI wrapper for WINE, which I full on agree with. I just wanted to give my two cents and recommend an application "Whisky". I think it has a much cleaner, intuitive, user interface. I own a copy of buckshot roulette and running it through Whisky works perfectly!

To install Buckshot Roulette on Whisky:

• In whisky either click "Create Bottle" or click the plus in the top right.

• Name your bottle, make sure "Windows 10" is selected and click "Create".

• With your new bottle selected on the lefthand side list, click "Open C: Drive".

• A finder window will appear, simply just drag your Buckshot Roulette executable into the window.

• Back in Whisky click "Pin Program".

• Then click "Browse".

• Select the executable you added and click "Open".

• Click "Pin".

• Double click your new pin and That's It! Your game should boot up!

Jan 6, 2024 11:50 AM in response to anarcyxt

WINE is safe as long as you get it through the developer's official site. However, WINE is difficult to use. You would be better off using PlayOnMac instead which provides a nice GUI wrapper around WINE to allow for easier configuration and it may have some tips for configuring a particular game. However, I've never heard of this game, so there probably is very little information on how compatible it is with WINE or how to properly configure WINE for that specific game. In my personal experience it is doubtful the game will run.

https://www.playonmac.com

Mar 24, 2024 11:02 AM in response to abhaylobo

abhaylobo wrote:

Hey guys i own intel MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014) and i cannot get buckshot roulette to work on wine, crossover or porting kit. i running macos big sur and cannot make whisky work

@quinnbrooks had wonderfully detailed instructions in their post. The only thing not mentioned was the version of WINE that Whisky was using. Sometimes the WINE version is very important. I've never used or heard of Whisky before so I don't know what type of configuration options are available. Some of the GUI wrappers such as PlayOnMac allow the user to manually select a particular version of WINE to use with each Bottle.

Without any specific details on where the process fails, it is hard to assist. It has been years since I last tried to use WINE or even PlayOnLinux (same as PlayOnMac, but for the Linux OS) so I forget how to troubleshoot these things & view the WINE logs (or the GUI apps' logs) for clues. You should check the WINE, CrossOver, and Whisky support pages for their suggested generalized troubleshooting steps on things to try. It is unlikely you will find any direct information for this particular game unless it is very popular & has known issues, but generalized instructions may help you figure out some things to try.

Mar 26, 2024 1:59 AM in response to HWTech

Yes, thank you very much for your reply. I recently found out that buckshot roulette does not work on graphics processors that do not support vulkan whether it be windows or mac.

But please do help me find a version of whisky for macos big sur as the current version is not working stating the reason that big sur is too old

Thank you

Would Wine allow me to play Buckshot Roulette on my MacBook without any lag?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.