Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GCN plus subscription through Apple ID not yet refunded

GCN+ service was terminated on December 19th of 2023. I had re-subscribed in October of 2023. GCN+ said I would be refunded for the portion of the year (almost 11 months) that was no longer provided due to terminating the service. I asked GCN today (1/1/24) where my refund was and they said since the subscription had been managed through Apple ID that I should ask Apple. So I’m asking Apple, where is my refund for the service that was terminated?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 1, 2024 5:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2024 3:06 AM

After going to Apple - Report a problem - and requesting a refund they agreed to make one pro rata.

it’s not automatic!

start here.

https://reportaproblem.apple.com/?s=7

17 replies

Jan 29, 2024 8:20 AM in response to PtorThor

Apple say they will only refund me from the date I requested a refund. There are 2 issues with this, first I shouldn’t have had to request a refund as the subscription ended, second the refund should apply from the date the service ended, not when I realised I was going to have to request it. So far basically Apple have just said that is how it is and there is nothing they can do. It’s not much money but it’s now a point of principle.

Jan 1, 2024 5:58 PM in response to PtorThor

Unfortunately, Apple does not really have a ton of control over this situation, as the subscription revenue would've already been paid out by the developer. If this sort of situation occurs, it is typically the developer's responsibility to take care of the situation, not Apple's.

Also, payments are typically only eligible for a refund through Apple within 90 days of purchase. After that, it's honestly up to the developer at that point, as Apple does not have much control after that point.

Sorry to hear you are in this situation. Try contacting Apple Support, but otherwise you may be out of luck.

Jan 1, 2024 6:11 PM in response to PtorThor

If that's what they told you, then they were misinformed. Apple is no longer responsible for Apple ID purchases longer than 90 days after the billing date. In an extreme case, you could technically file a lawsuit against GNC, but I wouldn't recommend that. This happens very often with developers not understanding the terms of subscriptions and purchases through the App Store.

Jan 29, 2024 8:40 AM in response to Cyclehappy

Correct. As the service was terminated it should be incumbent on the provider to refund purchases if applicable. Apple is handling billing and you can make a request through Apple, but Apple would have no control over whether a business remains a going concern. Your issue is ultimately with GCN or its owner.

Feb 8, 2024 10:50 PM in response to Josephfromdnk

GCN should have refunded or should have communicated a way to get a refund right away, so they are the villains in this story. The longer you wait for your refund the less you get.

I do not know if its out of obligation or out of kindness, but Apple refunded me after I reported a problem and was able to make a call back appointment.

Keep pushing, be persistant, stay nice. Find a real person to talk to.

Regards, A

Feb 18, 2024 9:30 AM in response to PtorThor

Same problem here…. I received yet another email from GCN support this morning - they’re still claiming it’s an Apple problem….

Copy / paste from the latest email:

I'm sorry for the trouble that has been caused. I realize that this situation is difficult, I would feel the same if this happened to me. 

We’re very sorry to hear you’re having an issue with your refund. If your subscription is billed through Apple, then Apple is responsible for issuing the refund. Refunds may take up to 6-8 weeks plus additional time to be processed by the payment provider used for your subscription. We are working with Apple to expedite as much as possible. 

I request you to please wait while Apple is processing the refund.

So very frustrating! Seems like they’re hoping we’ll all just forget about it and they can keep our money…

GCN plus subscription through Apple ID not yet refunded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.