You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Other Users and Shared" taking up 98gb but only have one user account.

Trying to free up space on my mac, have a 2TB plan @ £40pm but still need to perform this task seemingly....

On the list of storage items is "Other Users & Shared" taking up 98gb of space.

There is only one user on my mac, no guest user, never has been any other users so not sure what the "shared" data is referring too? 98gb seems a lot for a few shared pics and documents?

I do have family accounts linked to my profile but as I say they don't use the Mac.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 5:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 6:08 AM

UPDATE & FIX

In my efforts to make space I deleted Epic Games installer without first deleting the games it had already downloaded to the mac. So Fortnite at 93gb was still hidden in the files and once I found where it was stored I deleted the files and now "Other Users & Shared" has returned to an acceptable 5gb which I discovered is accessible in Finder > iCloud > Shared (Fortnite files did not show up in this folder, they had to be searched for).

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2024 6:08 AM in response to Drum_fraser

UPDATE & FIX

In my efforts to make space I deleted Epic Games installer without first deleting the games it had already downloaded to the mac. So Fortnite at 93gb was still hidden in the files and once I found where it was stored I deleted the files and now "Other Users & Shared" has returned to an acceptable 5gb which I discovered is accessible in Finder > iCloud > Shared (Fortnite files did not show up in this folder, they had to be searched for).

Jan 4, 2024 8:23 AM in response to Drum_fraser

For others who get here by searching, any of the free Utilities mentioned in this article can be very helpful at identifying really large files, and where they are.

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how… - Apple Community

Be sure to launch with an Admin account to get access to more files, and wait about a quarter hour for all big files to be identified.

"Other Users and Shared" taking up 98gb but only have one user account.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.