Strangeness when dragging stills onto timeline

I have narrations on the timeline, I have stills in the My Media bin.

I drag a still to the timeline. So far, so good.

But when I drag to change the length of the still, whoops, something happens! The two following narration clips seem to disappear in the timeline!

Also, on a side but possibly related issue, why is there so much space between the still and the audio in the timeline?

I tried switching out of the project, restarting iMovie to no avail. Still happening.

I have made many projects in iMovie and I thought I understood the timeline, but I guess not. Or is this a bug?

iMovie 10.3.8

Mac mini

Posted on Jan 5, 2024 7:56 AM

1 reply

Jan 5, 2024 10:38 AM in response to Timothy Arends1

I am not able to duplicate the issue that you describe.

Often when iMovie acts strange it can be caused by a need to delete/reset preferences. To delete/reset preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, you can try creating a new project and see if the issue replicates there.

-- Rich

Strangeness when dragging stills onto timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.