Iphone XR Unresponsive after IOS 17 Update

I responded to someone else's post noting that their Safari is not working properly after the IOS 17 update on Iphone XR, but decided to start a new thread of my issues as I refuse to believe that I am the only one experiencing these issues. My Iphone XR worked perfectly fine until the IOS 17 update came along! No issues whatsoever. Even the battery lasted an entire day, being a bit of an older phone, it used to last almost a day and a half, but 20% drop in capacity is expected and acceptable for an older model. My problem is not just Safari. After the IOS 17 update, the entire phone goes into a non functional state periodically. My Iphone XR has basically turned into a pile of crap. I just tried to go into settings to view something and it froze, some apps freeze, safari is non responsive etc. I have to restart my phone multiple times a day and when settings is unresponsive, I have to do a hard restart. None of this was an issue before the update. Battery life is suddenly a joke. Even something as simple as a phone call, I phone someone and they answer, I can't hear them. Other people phone me and I can't hear them. When I restart the phone and make the call everything works fine and same for receiving calls. I also get batched functionality. To explain, my phone will be quiet for hours, which is strange as I am a businessman that constantly receive calls and texts on different platforms, then all of a sudden I get hundreds of notifications showing calls missed, texts sent hours before etc. etc. The phone seems to get hot as well more often. Is this Apple's way of forcing an upgrade by drowning older phones with software that it can't handle or is this truly a mistake that they need to rectify? I moved from Android to Apple, because of the consistency in performance and reliability, but if this is going to be the case, then Apple can kiss my business good bye. I just want to note as well, that my storage is not full, I basically have just under 10 gb free which should be plenty for the phone to run efficiently. Another thing that is not related to the update, but while we are here as they say, can anybody shed light on the fact that whatsapp shows a massive amount of storage used in settings, i.e. 15gb, but when going into the app itself it shows space used is 3gb. I have off loaded the app and reinstalled which did nothing as suggested by other vids. Someone mentioned that the space difference is gifs and voice notes. 12gb used just for that? That cannot be possible and if so, apart from losing an entire chat, how can this be rectified?

iPhone XR, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 5, 2024 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2024 1:45 AM

Not sure if age has anything to do with it, but I understand what you are trying to say. I am 40, but yes, I had to look it up as well, purely because it was never necessary to do something like this before with any of my Apple phones. Highly frustrating, because surely this is something Apple should fix on their side instead of me having to waste my time following troubleshooting steps that may or may not solve the issue.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2024 1:45 AM in response to goofyjonesey

Not sure if age has anything to do with it, but I understand what you are trying to say. I am 40, but yes, I had to look it up as well, purely because it was never necessary to do something like this before with any of my Apple phones. Highly frustrating, because surely this is something Apple should fix on their side instead of me having to waste my time following troubleshooting steps that may or may not solve the issue.

Jan 5, 2024 11:24 AM in response to SpeciesZA

I also am experiencing the "turning into a brick, have to hard restart" issue; the battery life also is noticeably shorter although probably not quite as extreme as you.

I never had to even look up how to hard restart an iPhone and now after I had to look it up 3 times in a week, I do remember the sequence. (I am likely much older than you or the other respondent to this string so it takes me a few times!)

As for restoring, I'm not keen on the idea either as I am concerned about losing data etc. If this issue were not happening, we should not have to do that, right? Like you said, these things started when I updated to iOS17.

Jan 21, 2024 3:38 AM in response to SpeciesZA

My IPhone XR has the EXACT same issues- and had ZERO issues until Apple automatically installed iOS17.2.1 on my phone overnight.

my phone will make calls but nothing else works unless it’s on WiFi. No internet or Maps through cellular data.

i contacted my carrier and spent an hour with them troubleshooting- only for them to say it’s an Apple issue.

I have deleted my XR and am trying to restore it from an ICloud backup prior to the 17.2.1 update. Hopefully it works. That phone is also my business phone and I’m pretty upset about this ridiculous update that I did not want..

Jan 5, 2024 9:02 AM in response to SpeciesZA

SpeciesZA wrote:

I responded to someone else's post noting that their Safari is not working properly after the IOS 17 update on Iphone XR, but decided to start a new thread of my issues as I refuse to believe that I am the only one experiencing these issues. My Iphone XR worked perfectly fine until the IOS 17 update came along! No issues whatsoever. Even the battery lasted an entire day, being a bit of an older phone, it used to last almost a day and a half, but 20% drop in capacity is expected and acceptable for an older model. My problem is not just Safari. After the IOS 17 update, the entire phone goes into a non functional state periodically. My Iphone XR has basically turned into a pile of crap. I just tried to go into settings to view something and it froze, some apps freeze, safari is non responsive etc. I have to restart my phone multiple times a day and when settings is unresponsive, I have to do a hard restart. None of this was an issue before the update. Battery life is suddenly a joke. Even something as simple as a phone call, I phone someone and they answer, I can't hear them. Other people phone me and I can't hear them. When I restart the phone and make the call everything works fine and same for receiving calls. I also get batched functionality. To explain, my phone will be quiet for hours, which is strange as I am a businessman that constantly receive calls and texts on different platforms, then all of a sudden I get hundreds of notifications showing calls missed, texts sent hours before etc. etc. The phone seems to get hot as well more often. Is this Apple's way of forcing an upgrade by drowning older phones with software that it can't handle or is this truly a mistake that they need to rectify? I moved from Android to Apple, because of the consistency in performance and reliability, but if this is going to be the case, then Apple can kiss my business good bye. I just want to note as well, that my storage is not full, I basically have just under 10 gb free which should be plenty for the phone to run efficiently. Another thing that is not related to the update, but while we are here as they say, can anybody shed light on the fact that whatsapp shows a massive amount of storage used in settings, i.e. 15gb, but when going into the app itself it shows space used is 3gb. I have off loaded the app and reinstalled which did nothing as suggested by other vids. Someone mentioned that the space difference is gifs and voice notes. 12gb used just for that? That cannot be possible and if so, apart from losing an entire chat, how can this be rectified?

Sorry that was hard to read one big paragraph.

Basic troubleshooting:

Restart, Reset, Restore from backup and Restore as NEW!!!!!

Jan 5, 2024 11:27 AM in response to goofyjonesey

goofyjonesey wrote:

I also am experiencing the "turning into a brick, have to hard restart" issue; the battery life also is noticeably shorter although probably not quite as extreme as you.

I never had to even look up how to hard restart an iPhone and now after I had to look it up 3 times in a week, I do remember the sequence. (I am likely much older than you or the other respondent to this string so it takes me a few times!)

As for restoring, I'm not keen on the idea either as I am concerned about losing data etc. If this issue were not happening, we should not have to do that, right? Like you said, these things started when I updated to iOS17.

You don't need to do any troubleshooting tips provide, you can live with how your phone is currently.

Jun 8, 2024 12:09 PM in response to SpeciesZA

After the IOS 17 update, for two days, my XR randomly shut down although would periodically work. After that it shut down completely. I tried several attempts to update and then tried full factory restore and that wouldn't work after several tries. I took it to the 'Geniuses' who were also unsuccessful and told me I am the "owner of a brick" now. He reminded me "The fine print on my agreement says Apple isn't responsible for any malfunction as a result of an upgrade". Totally unacceptable and irresponsible to Apple customers. Obviously we are not the only ones negatively impacted by this failed update attempt. The solution I was given was I had to buy a new phone and since this 'brick' although in perfect condition, does not operate correctly, is not even an acceptable trade in. Thanks again Apple...

Iphone XR Unresponsive after IOS 17 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.