Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Phone won’t let me backspace in middle of word. Forced autocomplete to backspace?

Hi all,

I have iOS and iPadOS devices running the latest firmware (currently 17.2.1). I’ve noticed for the past couple of months, really since iOS 17 I think, that when typing and changing my mind on a word or sentence, my backspace just doesn’t work. It always happens in the middle of a word as my phone has guessed an autocomplete option, but it is often not the right word… or I just rethink how I’m typing. In the past, as you would assume, I would hit backspace to rewrite. Now I’m forced to hit space to autocomplete the suggestion, then must backspace the entire word letter by letter.

Is anyone having a similar issue and if so, which setting within keyboard/autocorrect has helped? I’ve tried turning the autocorrect option off to no avail. I’ve also tried tweaking the other options like predictive text, etc. None of them mention this as a feature...

I have noticed this bug(feature?) on both my iPhone models (11 pro max and 15 pro max), as well as on my iPad mini.

It is so frustrating to be hitting backspace and the cursor to just not move as if there is a barrier and just slows my roll in typing regardless of application. I’ve tried looking for other reports of this but don’t see this exact feature:issue listed anywhere, only other autocorrect options.

Thanks for any opinions/thoughts.

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 8:07 PM

go to keyboard settings and take off “show predictions inline” that solved it for me and it no longer tries to complete my words for me like an annoying spouse. Hope this helps!

10 replies

Phone won’t let me backspace in middle of word. Forced autocomplete to backspace?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.