Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Pro M3 Pro with Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED Smart

Hello community,

I'm sure someone might have asked the same question before, but allow me to inquire. I own a 15-inch MacBook Pro with M3 Pro, and I want to use it with a Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED Smart display. I'm utilizing an HDMI 2.1 cable for the connection between my Mac and the display. However, I'm encountering issues as I can't achieve the full resolution of the display, and the aspect ratio appears distorted (image attached - after shrinking it down to FDH). The maximum resolution I can currently use is 3840 x 2160. My Mac is connected to a power source. Could you please provide some advice on how to set it up with the correct resolution and aspect ratio?

Thank you very much!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Jan 11, 2024 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 12:35 AM

UPDATE:

In the initial post, there is a mistake. Of course, this is the 16” MacBook Pro M3 Pro, not 15”.

I am still facing this issue. My MacBook Pro has already been to the service center twice. The first time, they ran diagnostics on it, and it showed absolutely nothing. The second time, they completely reinstalled macOS and drivers, yet the issue persists. I tested the same setup with my second, older Intel-based MacBook Pro i7 2.9 GHz from 2017, and based on settings, it can go up to a resolution of 6720x1890. I have also tested the same setup with a laptop running Windows and an Intel Core i7, and it works just fine. It seems to be an issue with Apple Silicon. Is there a solution for it? Should I ask for a motherboard replacement? Could it be a problem with the ports or graphics card?

Thank you for the responses.

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2024 12:35 AM in response to dejv_it

UPDATE:

In the initial post, there is a mistake. Of course, this is the 16” MacBook Pro M3 Pro, not 15”.

I am still facing this issue. My MacBook Pro has already been to the service center twice. The first time, they ran diagnostics on it, and it showed absolutely nothing. The second time, they completely reinstalled macOS and drivers, yet the issue persists. I tested the same setup with my second, older Intel-based MacBook Pro i7 2.9 GHz from 2017, and based on settings, it can go up to a resolution of 6720x1890. I have also tested the same setup with a laptop running Windows and an Intel Core i7, and it works just fine. It seems to be an issue with Apple Silicon. Is there a solution for it? Should I ask for a motherboard replacement? Could it be a problem with the ports or graphics card?

Thank you for the responses.

Feb 14, 2024 1:04 AM in response to dejv_it

I had similar kind of issues: my M3 MacBook didn't identify the screen correctly and only offered a subset of the resolutions available. I decided to use BetterDisplay (https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay) and manually set the display information, after which everything started working fine.

However, this is just an ugly workaround. There's definitely something wrong with M3 HDMI port/driver: I've tried several cables and none of them identify the display correctly. When using PIP (I'm using G9 with PIP, both HDMI + Display port connected to my M3 = 2x 2560x1440), I can't use the MacBooks HDMI port because of the previous issue. I'm using usb-c -> displayport & usb-c -> hdmi cables instead.

Mar 4, 2024 7:41 AM in response to dejv_it

Your MacBook Pro 16-in from 2022 or later supports HDMI 2.1, so it should work for HDMI displays up to 8K in size. That 5K display should not be an issue.

Whet has been vexing users at every turn is that cables "shipped in the box' tend to be 'lowest bidder' cables, just good enough to keep you from returning the device the same day.

Recent version of MacOS INSIST that data transmission to the display be completely error-free, or the resolution is reduced at the Mac end until it becomes pro free. HDMI 2.1 on a Mac that supports it requires CERTIFIED ULTRA cables.

--------

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets. it works great at its original resolution of 720i or 720p. At higher resolutions, it quickly develops issues that are complex to solve, and the cables and adapters required to solve are NOT intuitive.

Mar 20, 2024 11:03 AM in response to dejv_it

Additional information for the thread:

I am using the slightly older Samsung Odyssey 49in G9 5120x1440 @ 240hz which I bought in when the Macbook M1 came out because the Macbook M1 only supports 1 external display monitor.

This doesn't appear to be a cable issue nor monitor issue.

I have tried multiple branded cables from USB-C to DP and it will not detect the display on my 2023 Macbook M3 Pro. I have also tried a USB-C docking station to display ports using different cables directly plugged into it.

Nothing natively works other than HDMI to HDMI direct at a lower resolution capped out at 60hz for the M3 Pro. I have also factory reset the G9 and updated the firmware with not change in results.

Using the same USB-C to DP cables and/or docking stations, both my M1 and M2 MacBooks, Dell laptop and Personal PC and they detect the display and output the full 5120x1440 at 120 hz. I don't recall if it will put out 240 hz or not. I can check if this matters later.

If anyone finds a native fix please post.

Mar 4, 2024 7:29 AM in response to dejv_it

devj_it--

Your postings have appeared on the Apple User-to-User Support Communities.

This is a great resource for getting and sharing ideas with other Users, but there is no there Apple following or Apple auditing of what is posted here. Apple is NOT working on a fix, and will not be unless/until you deliberately let them know there is a problem.

The level of documentation required for for Engineers to take this up is surprisingly large and complete. You need to provide enough information so that, if they had comparable equipment on hand, they could reproduce the issue in their labs.

If reproducing this issue requires this EXACT equipment, they would throw this back to you as "third party equipment defect, not an Apple Problem".

You should also consider pursing these issues with the display-maker.

Official Apple Support

Mar 4, 2024 12:31 AM in response to dejv_it

Hey guys,

I’ve found a workaround for this issue. Even though I prefer not to rely on third-party apps, I’m forced to do so. Apple really needs to address this problem, especially since Windows PCs, which are in many cases much cheaper, don’t have these issues.

After updating to the latest MacOS, it seems to be working with Thunderbolt (USB-C) to DisplayPort, but occasionally, segments on the display flicker, which could be problematic for people with photosensitive epilepsy.

The main workaround is using a third-party app like BetterDisplay and HDMI. It allows me setting up the full resolution of the Samsung Odyssey G9 display, although in my case, there’s a green line at the bottom or the displayed content is slightly off-center. It’s not ideal but better than nothing.

Let’s wait for Apple to release a solution for this issue. I’ll keep this thread active in case there are any updates from my end or if someone else finds a better workaround.

Mar 6, 2024 7:16 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Im not sure how did I resolved this problem, but it’s working now

I did update my system because there were some minor updates available and I restarted laptop and plug this cable:

1.8m DisplayPort-thunderbolt

https://allegro.pl/oferta/kabel-mac-macbook-usb-c-displayport-8k-5k-4k-240hz-10657757168

also this cable goes not directly to laptop but to dell dock station.

everything is working right now but

i can make 4K @ 240Hz

and 5k2k at maximum 120Hz

so I’m not sure if this is limitation of m3 max

on the Reddit I read that someone with cable UHBR13.5 can handle 7k tv with rx7000

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/s/uHKQ8Twlkt

Mar 6, 2024 7:39 AM in response to wojciech42

The typical limitation is that Dell docks do not tend to support high-end displays at full resolution on a Mac.

You are dealing with data rates that are faster and more un-relenting than any other signals in your Mac except the path processor to RAM memory. Any less than top-performing items in the chain will yield less-that-top resolutions.

Please specify EXACTLY how the connection goes from your Mac (what cable, how long) to the Dell dock (what Model Dell dock, what cable, how long) to the display.

Mar 6, 2024 3:05 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I got my G9 OLED today and I am experiencing same issues as above: With HDMI 2.1 the highest option I get is 3840x2160 60hz which is very wrong as the display doesn’t even support x2160. Even when I choose 3840x1440 it still won’t go higher than 60hz. However when I try my dp-usb C cable I get the expected values 5120x1440 with 240hz and even HDR, BUT with the flickering.

My HDMI cable is a Nördic Certified Ultra High Speed HDMI 2.1 48gbps and I have confirmed there’s nothing wrong with it by trying it on different monitors and computers. In fact I used it with the same macbook on my previous Samsung G9 Neo monitor and was able to get 5120x1440p 120hz HDR (still surprised it didn’t go as high as 240hz since I now get it with a usb c to dp cable which has less bandwidth)

MacBook Pro M3 Pro with Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED Smart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.