Iphone 14 will not record in MP4, even though setting is for "most compatible".

Has anyone figured out what happened to the MP4 format? I don't need to hear which formats iphone supports. I need to know how to record a video in MP4. As it is now, the "most compatible" setting in camera settings, records in MOV format. I have switched it back and forth and restarted the phone. Nothing will make it record in MP4. Anyone have a solution?

iPhone 14, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 11, 2024 3:48 PM

3 replies

Apr 14, 2024 5:41 PM in response to iphone14_1

iphone14_1 wrote:

Has anyone figured out what happened to the MP4 format? I don't need to hear which formats iphone supports. I need to know how to record a video in MP4. As it is now, the "most compatible" setting in camera settings, records in MOV format. I have switched it back and forth and restarted the phone. Nothing will make it record in MP4. Anyone have a solution?

You may not want to hear which formats iPhone supports, but MP4 isn't one of them, so there's your answer. You may have success finding software which will convert a video you take on your iPhone to MP4, but natively, iPhone doesn't do that.

May 26, 2024 10:42 PM in response to iphone14_1

I have been struggling with iphone video recording codecs and file extensions today.

(iphone 14)

This may help you:

Once you record a video (mine was over 3 hours in 1080P, 30fps), it uploads to ICLOUD.

There, on icloud, you can download (3 dot menu) select alternate file downloads.

You can choose original, max quality or max compatibility.

One of them saves a mp4 file to my download folder in windows 10.

So there is a way within the apple world of going from an iphone video to mp4 file.

Iphone 14 will not record in MP4, even though setting is for "most compatible".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.