Sonoma installed itself

I was using my MacBook Pro on Monterey and it was running a but sluggish so I restarted my machine. It took a long time to restart but then upon booting it had automatically installed Sonoma. I hadn't upgraded as I require programs that aren't compatible with Sonoma to operate.

I didn't request Sonoma to install, nor do I have MacOS updates turned on. Naturally I checked the settings on my Mac as soon as I worked out what was going on and I have attached a screenshot of the way it was set.

I have seen some other people on Macrumours and Reddit with the same issue in the last few days only.

I have a time machine I'll be trying to revert to but why is the OS automatically updating itself?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Jan 14, 2024 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2024 6:51 AM

I just read a comment in TidBits that addresses this issue pretty comprehensively and offers some good thoughts on the matter. https://tidbits.com/2024/01/22/ventura-and-monterey-users-beware-unwanted-sonoma-upgrades/

29 replies

Jan 24, 2024 6:29 PM in response to wbg10

wbg10 wrote:

I just read a comment in TidBits that addresses this issue pretty comprehensively and offers some good thoughts on the matter. https://tidbits.com/2024/01/22/ventura-and-monterey-users-beware-unwanted-sonoma-upgrades/

Sounds like gaslighting to me.

"I don’t believe Apple meant to force Sonoma upgrades on users."

"This is a nasty bug and is a distinct lapse on Apple’s part. However, I think it’s overstating the case to claim that it’s indicative of a trend or a reason to stick with older versions of macOS."

"there’s no reason to fear Sonoma. It has been out since September and has received several updates to fix bugs, add promised features, and block security vulnerabilities."

and finally, "Any further divergences will be deleted summarily"

Since my reply would be deleted on that site, let's break this down. Apple most definitely meant to do this. There is a red badge on System Preferences that can never be removed. There are upgrade notifications that cannot be blocked. And now, "so sorry, that must be a bug - just upgrade your OS for a fix 😄".

Anyone claiming that this isn't indicative of a trend knows absolutely nothing about Apple. And yet, the author of that piece obvious does. Hmmmm... How to reconcile this contradiction?

No reason to fear Sonoma. It's been out for months now and has lots of bug fixes! If that's not a selling point, I don't know what is. Well, what if we don't want to deal with those bugs in the first place? Last, but not least - more fear-mongering. If you don't upgrade to Sonoma, the North Korean hackers are gonna getchya! I sure hope he's a paid influencer. I would hate for Apple to get this kind of media pandering for free. At least let them pay for it.

Jan 24, 2024 6:34 PM in response to etresoft

PS: I was force-upgraded on Jan. 11th and I still haven't recovered yet. I restored from backup but had numerous corrupt files. Still working on restoring from iCloud. Luckily, I do know something about Apple. I don't just rely on Time Machine. I also rely on an entirely separate computer I can use if my primary computer goes out of commission for whatever reason.

Jan 16, 2024 1:45 AM in response to obutcher

Yes, there have some several reports of Monterey being Auto upGraded to Sonoma even with the setting you have disabled.

There is yet to be some response or acknowledge from Apple as to why this is happening

If you are going to downgrade back to Monterey be aware the TM Backup does not contain a Full and Working Copy of the Previous Operating System ( Monterey )

It is suggested as Temporary Workaround, once the machine is back on Monterey and all is good.

Manually download the Full Version of Sonoma and leave the " Install Sonoma Application " about 13 GB alone and appearing in Applications folder alone.

This may indicate to the Update Applet in System Preference Not to Redownload and upGrade the machine a second time

Terminal command below

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 14.2.1

Jan 15, 2024 2:18 AM in response to obutcher

obutcher wrote:

I was using my MacBook Pro on Monterey and it was running a but sluggish so I restarted my machine. It took a long time to restart but then upon booting it had automatically installed Sonoma. I hadn't upgraded as I require programs that aren't compatible with Sonoma to operate.

I didn't request Sonoma to install, nor do I have MacOS updates turned on. Naturally I checked the settings on my Mac as soon as I worked out what was going on and I have attached a screenshot of the way it was set.

I have seen some other people on Macrumours and Reddit with the same issue in the last few days only.

I have a time machine I'll be trying to revert to but why is the OS automatically updating itself?

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Jan 25, 2024 7:28 AM in response to JakoobCZ

JakoobCZ wrote:

I'm looking on options, how to downgrade.

Here is another thread about the incident: Forced upgrade to Sonoma: can it be stopp… - Apple Community

What you need to do depends on what computer you have and what OS version you were running before. You'll have to erase the hard drive, certainly. If you were running Monterey, you'll also need to setup a bootable USB. If you were running Ventura, then Recovery Mode will be able to reinstall Ventura.

Then you'll need to restore from backup. But just a heads-up, after I restored, I found several instances of corrupt data. This episode has shaken my faith in more ways that one.

Jan 15, 2024 11:58 PM in response to BDAqua

> I'd uncheck download new updates when available

I have that setting because I want to decide when to download and when to install.

On the other hand, I set my son's M2 MacBook Pro the same way and it is still at Sonoma 14.0 although I have nagged him to update for a few weeks...

...but now he can't because he has an unfinished Final Cut project that needs vintage footage from a Firewire DV camcorder, and I advised him NOT to update just yet because 14.1 has a new camera setting (my Sonoma 14.2.1 Intel Mac needed that before Sony TRV320E D8 camcorder was recognized). "If you can't use your camera or video output device after updating to macOS Sonoma 14.1":

If you can't use your camera or video output device after updating to macOS Sonoma 14.1 - Apple Support

Jan 21, 2024 2:11 PM in response to PRP_53

The same happened to me this afternoon. Unwanted forced installation of Sonoma over the top of Monterey. What gives? I have NEVER had auto-update enabled. I have software compatibility issues with Sonoma. I'm trying to downgrade right now. Thankfully, this happened on a weekend! This would have killed me if it had happened on M-F. Should I be nervous about restarting my Mac from now on?

MacBookPro16,1; 6-Core Intel Core i7; 2.6 GHz

Jan 24, 2024 1:57 AM in response to PRP_53

Now that Sonoma 14.3 is out, should we download this new version and keep it in the Applications folder to prevent Monterey from upgrading to Sonoma again? Or is the 14.2.1 download enough to prevent this forced upgrade?

I have just updated to Monterey 12.7.3 and would not like to live a forced upgrade again and lose some days to downgrade again to Monterey. Thanks!

Jan 25, 2024 1:01 PM in response to obutcher

Same thing as a lot of others -

restarted my machine last night due to some glitchiness opening up the Apple TV app. Figured it needed a restart it had been compressing a very large folder overnight the night before.

Restarting took awhile but I assumed it was just a security update which I had turned on auto. But I had not turned OS updates on auto so I was surprised and annoyed when the log in screen looked different and new and I realized what happened.

Luckily I no longer use this machine for my work but I did just start using Protools which I know tends to take awhile to be compatible/usable on the new operating systems. I was not ready to upgrade anytime soon and now it’s taking awhile to wipe/reinstall/restore my computer back to Ventura. Still not sure it’s gonna be successful.

Sonoma installed itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.