Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Activation Lock Support from Apple (Removal - vs. pass code vs screen lock?)

I'll try to keep this brief - I am not a native apple/iPhone user so I'm hoping someone can clarify for me.

• I have an iPhone 13 Mini.
    • I own it, I have proof of purchase through T-Mobile
      • Documents I have: EIP Documents that list the EIP agreement and then also printouts that show the EIP Agreement and phone IMEI plus my T-Mobile Number and Account information.

• I loaned it an ex to use. They ended up in jail. They're now in a mental institution for a mental breakdown
    • I do not have a way to contact them or talk to them
    • Even if I did, I don't know if they have the mental capacity or wherewithal to even give me the information I need

• I have the phone returned back to me
    • I know the "screen lock" password which was a 6-digit code you could use instead of face ID
    • I did not know that once restarted, iPhones have a different pin code you have to enter (his is 4-digits)
    • I've tried a few things I thought it would be, but I am afraid of totally disabling it and don't want to keep trying

• I have tried to do some research, I also see references to an activation lock - is this the same as the 4-digit pin?
    • I found that I can submit a request through apple with proof of purchase to have the activation lock removed
    • If I submit it and they do that - I am unsure about the following...
      • Does this reset the whole phone? (This is fine, I don't need any of his data)
      • If it doesn't, will removing the activation lock allow me to reset the phone without worry of needing that pin again?
      • I know his Apple ID, but do not have access to his account - I am assuming removing the activation lock removes it from his apple ID so I can link it back to mine?

Thanks in advance for your help, I just want to ensure I go about this in the correct order so I don't screw something up or end up bricking the phone. I'd like to give it to my family member to use since I am still paying the EIP on it.

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Jan 24, 2024 12:18 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 24, 2024 12:46 PM in response to tommyJ716

• I know the "screen lock" password which was a 6-digit code you could use instead of face ID

Got that

• I did not know that once restarted, iPhones have a different pin code you have to enter (his is 4-digits)

No idea on this one. In 15 years of working with messed up iPhones, I have never seen this. Does this screen look like the 6-digit lock screen or something else? Need as much detail as possible. This might be a code that the carrier is requesting for to authorize the SIM card in the phone, so that it will connect to the carrier's network service. Just a guess though, since once cellular service is set up on the phone, you rarely need to change anything in that regard.

Maybe another user has seen this and can help.

• I have tried to do some research, I also see references to an activation lock - is this the same as the 4-digit pin?

No

Activation Lock is a totally different can of worms. If the phone were Activation Locked, you would seen an "Activation Locked" screen with a partial Apple ID displayed as a clue to the real Apple ID that was originally associated with the phone.

No reason to get involved with Activation Lock unless the process that you are trying to use to get the phone working suddenly results in an "Activation Lock" display on the screen.

At some point, you will need to know the Apple ID and Password of the person who originally set up the phone in order to fully reset the phone back to factory defaults so it will look like a brand new phone that is being powered on for the first time.

Jan 24, 2024 12:59 PM in response to tommyJ716

I get this if I enter a number

It looks like I can Erase it, but that doesn't solve the problem of removing it from his account. (If down the road he gets out and decides he wants to lock it then I'm SOL)

Or do I do "erase" and then ask apple to remove it from his account by showing my ownership? I'm assuming he has find my enabled which is why I get these screens

Jan 24, 2024 12:21 PM in response to tommyJ716

I want to add, I may have an old backup from when I first let him take the phone in October of 2022 and we transferred his data from his broken iphone X on my old macbook air.

If I do, I see that sometimes you can "restore" an old backup and that will get you past the passcode. If I were to do that, can I then access his email so I can remove my phone from is apple ID account? (I'd have to reset his password - which I could do with the email access/phone access - he has it linked to one of those free phone numbers)

This is not my preferred method as I don't really want to go into his account, but just wondering if this may be an easier way?

Jan 24, 2024 12:55 PM in response to Bob Timmons

No idea on this one. In 15 years of working with messed up iPhones, I have never seen this. Does this screen look like the 6-digit lock screen or something else? Need as much detail as possible. This might be a code that the carrier is requesting for to authorize the SIM card in the phone, so that it will connect to the carrier's network service. Just a guess though, since once cellular service is set up on the phone, you rarely need to change anything in that regard.

I do not believe this is a sim lock. The sim is on my account. I also have another extra line and sim which I've popped in and get the same code request. If I call either or text either the message noise bloops and the call will come in.

When I turn the screen on it I see the wallpaper and have the option to "swipe up to unlock" from the bottom. When I do it shows a keypad and says "Enter passcode - your passcode is required when iPhone restarts" and the only other options at the bottom are Emergency or Cancel. If I enter it wrong it does a timed lock out.

Jan 24, 2024 1:14 PM in response to tommyJ716

I have never seen what your are describing. We'll have to wait to see if another user can help.

The Security Lockout screen will appear if the correct passcode is not entered. After a few more incorrect tries, you have to Erase the phone and then set it up again. If you don't want to wait, you may be able to go ahead and tap Erase iPhone. If that is successful, then you can go through the set up process again.

It's clear to me that you will need to erase the phone and start over. The big question mark will come when you try to associate an Apple ID and password with the phone.

Jan 24, 2024 1:33 PM in response to tommyJ716

Like it or not, it appears that your only option to try to get the phone going again is to Erase iPhone. This won't "brick" the phone software wise....frankly, I think it is already "bricked" in terms of iOS software.

As I said before....and as sberman points out....there may be some Apple ID issues involved as you get deeper into the process of trying to reset and set the phone up again.

Worst case, you will have to send Apple proof of ownership documents and supporting materials in an Unlock Request.

Good luck.

Activation Lock Support from Apple (Removal - vs. pass code vs screen lock?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.