Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

After updating to iOS 17.3 battery draining severely

All background activities stopped wifi and mobile data turned off, the battery drains much faster than with iOS 17.2.1 Putting the device ideal also drains very quickly

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Jan 24, 2024 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2024 10:20 AM

This is garbage! My battery is draining very quickly after the IOS 17.3.1 update. I think that I may go with an Android next time because I am sick of Apple and their updates that hurt more than they help

27 replies

Jan 25, 2024 5:11 PM in response to SravanKrA

I also have an iPhone 15 pro and I’m very picky about battery life. I don’t use my phone much, my screen on time average is 1:30 to 2 hrs a day, and I’d get 46 to 48 hrs going from 80% to 15% before iOS 17.3. Now, after updating and using it the same way It goes from 80% to 15% in 25 hours, so basically half the battery life with the same use.

Feb 10, 2024 6:34 AM in response to avinash121

I have an iPhone 14pro. After uploading iOs 17.3, my battery drained dramatically. I’m loosing average 15% per hours without using my phone, while it sits on my desk. I can’t charge it while using it cause it overheats. I need to carry a charging cable everywhere I go now. iOs 17.3.1 didn’t fixed anything. My partner who also has the same phone and did the same updates didn’t had any of these issues. My battery worn is at 89%, it shouldn’t be an issue. Any tips or idea when does Apple intend to fix this? It’s not a mobile phone anymore, it has to remain on the cord charger at all time 🙄.

Feb 29, 2024 7:32 AM in response to avinash121

I have an iPhone 14 Pro MAX and after 17.3 & 17.3.1 battery drain is unbelievable. Took my phone off the charger at 5:30 AM and it's currently 9:30AM and the battery is at 60% already with little use. Apple Fix this. 17.2 was fine. This type of battery drain & damage is unacceptable. Getting harder to justify premium prices for these devices when the software and battery life is getting worse.

Feb 8, 2024 6:20 AM in response to ofobh

After just getting a iPhone 15 Pro Max because I wanted longer battery life, I have been shocked at how bad the battery is on 17.3. You seem pretty confident that 17.3 is to blame for your issues, so that gives me some comfort that things may improve with the next iOS release. Out of interest, what battery saving measures do you take on your phone or do you leave everything as 'standard' i.e. background app refresh, location services etc?

Feb 8, 2024 4:52 AM in response to avinash121

Ditto. Can't compare to previous IOS versions but having just purchased an iPhone 15 Pro Max and using iOS 17.3 I've been most disappointed with the battery life. Tried all the battery saving tips of disabling background refresh, reducing screen brightness, using dark mode, reducing location access to only the most vital apps, but battery life is still pretty poor. Browsing appears to sap battery life and it doesn't seen to matter whether I use Safari, Chrome or Edge - its better on WiFi, but only just. My conclusion is that something is wrong with 17.3 and Apple need to address it in 17.3.1 or 17.4.

Feb 20, 2024 3:33 AM in response to avinash121

I temporarily fix the battery drainage issue on my iPhone 14pro by turning off the auto synchronization of the photos with iCloud. I called twice at Apple for this issue after uploading iOs17,3; first time without much results, second time I made a Karen out of me and it went higher and the guy figured out that the algorithm to synchronize my photo albums on iCloud was messing up, and this was causing the battery drain. Turn this off, hard reboot your phone (leave it off for a few hours) and if it does like me, issue will be temporary fixed until the next update.

After updating to iOS 17.3 battery draining severely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.