Is Apple Motion the right tool to make fun videos with my infant?

I'm a new dad and I would love to make use of my baby videos and turn them into fun imaginative videos to post on social media.

Is Apple Motion the right tool? I'm not a video professional and I don't have final cut pro. Is this the right tool? Would you suggest something else for a beginner?

Mac mini (M2, 2023)

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 9:16 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 25, 2024 11:39 AM in response to chucklin72

I would start with iMovie. It's free.

Motion is not exactly a video editor. It can be used as such, but it would be a pain.

Motion is great for designing motion graphics.

It is an amazing application, and I enjoy it very much, but I don't think it is the tool for the job, plus it has a much steeper learning curve.

Hardly indicated for a beginner, I'd say.

iMovie is very easy to use and includes a number of prebuilt animations that are ready for you.

If at some point you start feeling you have outgrown what it can do, then I'd look at FCP. FCP is far more powerful, but harder for a beginner.

Anyway, since there is a free trial of FCP, you could experiment with both FCP and iMovie and see how you feel about each.

Jan 29, 2024 6:04 AM in response to chucklin72

iMovie is the go-to answer, and it's OK. I've taught middle school and high school level video classes over the last two decades, and I always found it a bit tricky to get folks to think that way. It's good, but I'd not say it's fantastic. Nothing I've seen for free is fantastic.

Also look at CapCut and HitFilm, colleagues of mine have used these in middle and high school video classes and like them.

Jan 30, 2024 5:58 PM in response to chucklin72

If you want to do that sort of "compositing" effects, you'll want Motion (takes some learning, but isn't bad). But titles and such are available in both iMovie and FCP. Star with iMovie. Once you're comfortable with it, try the free trial version of FCPX and take an online tutorial from macProVideo or Ripple Training. FCPX gets way more sophisticated and some formal basic training will save you tons of time and headaches.

Is Apple Motion the right tool to make fun videos with my infant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.