Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Microsoft Exchange on my iPhone keeps asking for a password

Keep getting popup on my iPhones asking for my Exchange password. I'm running 17.2 on both my 15 Pro Max and 15 Plus. My 7 Plus running 15.8 and all three are having the same issue. I have MS Office and use Outlook for mail, contacts, and calendar and iPhone uses Exchange. I've tried every password I have ever used and I keep getting incorrect password. I even changed my Outlook password yesterday to try and start from scratch and that didn't fix it. Today I got an error message in Skype saying there was a problem, enter password. It was not the same Exchange error. I entered my new Outlook password and I got in.

These are all personal phones and accounts so no IT support to contact. This started yesterday. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 25, 2024 12:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2024 3:16 PM

I had a similar problem.

My fix was that I deleted the 'account', then used the same credentials to add back the same account, BUT adding as outlook.com, NOT Microsoft Exchange as it had been set up.

Like this:

On iPhone, select 'Settings' > 'Mail" > 'Accounts' > select desired account and click 'Delete Account'.

Reboot phone (not sure it's necessary.)

Then, select 'Settings' > 'Mail" > 'Accounts' > 'Add Account' > from the list, select 'Outlook.com' and follow the prompts to 'add' the same account you already had.

I did the same thing on my iPad and it worked there as well.

Hope this helps - the problem was driving me nuts.

61 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2024 3:16 PM in response to 1stDeb

I had a similar problem.

My fix was that I deleted the 'account', then used the same credentials to add back the same account, BUT adding as outlook.com, NOT Microsoft Exchange as it had been set up.

Like this:

On iPhone, select 'Settings' > 'Mail" > 'Accounts' > select desired account and click 'Delete Account'.

Reboot phone (not sure it's necessary.)

Then, select 'Settings' > 'Mail" > 'Accounts' > 'Add Account' > from the list, select 'Outlook.com' and follow the prompts to 'add' the same account you already had.

I did the same thing on my iPad and it worked there as well.

Hope this helps - the problem was driving me nuts.

Feb 5, 2024 12:23 AM in response to 1stDeb

Microsoft posted this is resolved but it's not. Things worked for about a day and "broke" again. Haven't received mail since Friday, can't send mail, and calendar not updating. Continuously getting prompt for Exchange password, enter it, comes back as incorrect. Just like I originally posted. This is ridiculous!

Anyone else still having issues?

Jan 25, 2024 2:58 PM in response to 1stDeb

This is happening to me too! The last 36 hours. It says I need to enter the exchange password, and when I do it says the password is incorrect.

I have reset password, restarted phone etc. after restarting the phone it didn’t do it for approx 12 hours but I woke up and it was doing it. It asked me 4 times for the password and kept saying it’s incorrectly and on the 5th time I hasn’t hit enter and it disappeared and all my emails came through.

It is driving me insane!

The password is correct (I even I changed it) and I can log in using that password on any other platform other than the apple mail app. This is happening with a hotmail email address.

Jan 25, 2024 2:38 PM in response to 1stDeb

I have had this same problem since yesterday for both of my exchange email accounts (Hotmail and MSN) on my IPhone 15 Pro Max and on my IPad Air. I have tried restarting both devices and deleting and re-adding both email accounts. I had Microsoft reset a new password for my Hotmail account as I wasn’t sure what the correct password was. Now my IPad continues with the incorrect password pop up and my iPhone says I’m not connected to the mail server. One of my accounts is a joint email with my husband. Our joint email account is fine on his Iphone. This is extremely frustrating!!!!

Jan 27, 2024 6:33 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

This is what MS said about the issue on 26th: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/office/outlook-and-other-apps-are-unable-to-connect-to-outlook-com-f4202ebf-89c6-4a8a-bec3-3d60cf7deaef

Last Updated: January 26, 2024

ISSUE

Outlook and other apps are unable to connect to Outlook.com.  

Some users have reported that signing in with an App Password works to connect but later goes back into a disconnected state. 

Since starting around 1/23/24 users have reported issues connecting with Outlook 2013, Outlook 2016, Outlook for Microsoft 365, Thunderbird, and mobile email apps when connecting with POP, IMAP, and Exchange connections.