Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Templates

As an online student, my professors often post templates to fill out for certain assignments, they automatically open in Pages as opposed to Word. I don't like this as I don’t know how to use Pages. I've recently purchased a new MacBook Air and this issue has been happening since. How can I stop these templates from opening in Pages? I don't have the Pages app on my computer anymore.

MacBook, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jan 29, 2024 12:07 PM

4 replies

Jan 29, 2024 12:17 PM in response to Angelina810

Assuming the files you receive from your instructor(s) are some Microsoft Word document/format.

If you right-click on one of them and choose OPEN WITH, you will see the "Default" app that will be used to open that type of file and some others that your computer thinks can open that type of file. Regardless of whether the app you want to use is listed here or not, choose OTHER and then locate the app you want to use to open this type of file. Before you click on OPEN, check the "Always Open With" box. This will tell your Mac to use this app when opening this file type. Repeat this process for any other file type you want to modify.

Jan 29, 2024 12:22 PM in response to Angelina810

If these are Word templates, then click once on one of these templates and then press option+cmd+i. That will open a Finder Info panel mid-screen and on that panel is an Open With section. Change it to MS Word, and then click through the Change All… button. Subsequent double clicks on these templates should then open them in Word, or at least a right-click, then Open With : Microsoft Word (default) should appear.

Templates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.