Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bending effect and shatter effect in apple motion

Hello

i'm wondering if there is a way to achieve Bending effect like the one in after effect ??

as shatter effect like the one in after effect ?

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 7:45 AM

20 replies

Jan 31, 2024 9:53 PM in response to rowie302

One way to create a shatter effect is to create an Effect or Title project. Figure out how many "shards" you're going to need and create a Clone from the Effect Source or the Title Background. [Each clone must be created from the Effect or Title sources, do not clone a clone!] For this example, I only used 10.

To make this easy, turn off the visibility of all the clones. Select all the clones and turn on the Drop Shadow.

Turn on the Clone at the top of the list and use a Bezier Mask to draw a "chip".

Turn on the next Clone. The drop shadow from the first one will display an edge you can "trace" with the bezier mask on the second Clone.

Continue down the clones list in a similar fashion.

When you're done creating the "chips", select all the clones and create a Replicator.

Set the Replicator Shape to Point and select the 3D option.

You'll end up with something that looks like:

Select one of the Clone Layer cells in the Layers List and add a Sequence Replicator. Add Parameters Rotation and Position. Sequencing To. Traversal... Decelerate.

Move the playhead forward from the beginning a little and start adding Rotation and Position values. Position Z should be somewhere around 2300 for a 1080 project.

Option drag a copy and drop the Sequence Replicator on each clone Cell and go through and vary the parameters to create your animation.

You should end up with something like this:

Notes:

I did not take the time to be neat about the drawing the bezier masks.

I did not spend a lot of time varying the parameters of the sequence replicators.

I'm running FCPX 10.4.10 on an older (and somewhat crippled) mac, so the animation is not all that smooth.

This is NOT the only way to build this effect. It can be built with 3D Text:

It is possible to build font characters that have *zero* width, so that when sequential characters are typed out, the "characters" (shard pieces) fit together exactly. There are free resources that can be put to use to create custom fonts like this one. When using a font, instead of multiple clones and multiple sequence replicators, just a few sequence text behaviors can be used (one for each specific parameter you want to control, like Z position and Rotation). Sequence text has Variance controls so that each shard/character can have randomly altered values. A greater range of animations becomes possible.

Feb 1, 2024 8:16 AM in response to fox_m

This is awesome

This is what the shatter effect should be but wow i have to create the shapes one by one my self

it's all about time but i'll do it

however i actually think if i added Extrude to each shape that will give it the 3d dimension

wow that would be awesome and i'll try to create it Text i think it will be less load on my system

Thanks so much this is the one

Feb 1, 2024 2:06 PM in response to seleemzid

Hi

Once you have your project done, you can save your shapes, and also the entire composition in your library.

For single shape layers, or groups of shape layers, use the shapes folder.

For groups with multiple kinds of layers and behaviors, you can use the favorites folder. You can save entire compositions in here.

Use the new folder function to organise things.

From the library folders, you can add what you saved to any other project.

Jan 31, 2024 5:53 AM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

You can do a shatter effect, you may want to look for a YT video on that.

there is just one video how to do shatter effect in YT and that video is about 9 years old and it's the old style that you cut and mask each part of the clip and then keyframe each mask . which is in 2024 not acceptable i thought there is something like in year 2001 after effect first time produced shatter effect in after effect .

as much as i go deeper with apple motion i'm really in love with it but i can't believe that it missing things like shatter effect or speed ramping , is that apple product ??????

Jan 31, 2024 9:13 AM in response to seleemzid

Hi

It really helps if you can provide us with examples of what you are thinking about with 'shatter'

Keep in mind, the while they are tools that do similar things, Motion is not Apple's version of AE and it is not developed to compete with AE feature for feature. You will find plenty of things that Motion does not do better than AE, and vice versa. Use the tool that get the best result for what you need.

I think the tutorial you are referring to is the glass shatter lesson by Simon Ubsdell. Even though it is not what you need, if you are following the lesson, it will still teach you a lot.

Jan 31, 2024 2:49 PM in response to BenB

BenB wrote:

Here you go
https://youtu.be/Ma73kTVEY44?si=JDiinznl7cRi5Nw3

You may also want to check out Ripple Training and macProVideo for more.

As for bending, doing it with replicators is a long, complicated process. I'd recommend getting mPuppet from MotionVFX, make it really easy for yourself.

Thanks Ben for your help

yes i seen this one and it's not as what i'm looking for this is just a particles which is not shatter.

the shatter effect is different shapes of pieces and different sizes like for example glass shatter

i guess i have to create my own geometry shapes and image mask each shape however since i don't have that much of experience in apple motion this is gonna be a challenge ,

unless if someone has Geometry shatter that i can use

Jan 31, 2024 3:08 PM in response to seleemzid

Hi seleemzid.

Until we see some references or examples of what kind of 'shatter' you mean, we can't point you in the best direction.

Here is one that I think might be of use.

https://youtu.be/irFwQhxNq5c?si=mbq-NCsEd-Pxc6iv

Note that it is an older lesson, yet it is using a method that works the same today. It does make use of AI and a script..while these days, there is Pixelmator Pro to replace that process, however, i do not think Pixelmator has the same abilities..not sure about that. The thing with this lesson, is how behaviors are used to replace the task of keyframing....

Jan 31, 2024 3:58 PM in response to seleemzid

Hi seleemzid

There is no such discipline of animation called 'apple'.

The field of animation we are both talking about, for both AE and Motion, is motion graphics.

A 'shatter' is not an objective definition with an industry wide standard that all the different businesses and people who use the products recognise as the same thing...you know, pdf, mp3...1920x180HD, usb C.....do you see the difference?

We are here to help, and for any occasion, it is good to provide examples of what you have in mind.

Jan 31, 2024 9:44 PM in response to rowie302

rowie302 wrote:

Hi seleemzid

There is no such discipline of animation called 'apple'.

I sincerely hope you realize how grateful I am for your time and responses. Regarding 'apple,' I was referring to 'Apple Motion.' And yes, as you might have noticed, English is not my strongest language since it's my third language, but I am trying my best!

A 'shatter' is not an objective definition with an industry wide standard that all the different businesses and people who use the products recognise as the same thing...you know, pdf, mp3...1920x180HD, usb C.....do you see the difference?

the reason i came here with this post coz i thought it's call shatter effect as the one in after effect .

this was my original post

Hello
i'm wondering if there is a way to achieve Bending effect like the one in after effect ??
as shatter effect like the one in after effect ?

In the video tutorials on YouTube, they refer to it as the 'shatter effect' when using Adobe After Effects, but in Blender, it's known as 'cell fracture' or sometimes 'break down.' In DaVinci Resolve, there isn't a direct 'shatter effect,' but it can be achieved using the 3D displacement node. Indeed, I have been using these applications for some time, but I am now exploring Apple Motion because I have the opportunity to learn something new. So, why not give Apple Motion a try?

again i'm very thankful for your amazing talent in Apple Motion

Bending effect and shatter effect in apple motion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.