Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Logic Pro mastering assistant causes distortion in offline bounced file

I'm trying Mastering Assistant. I'm bouncing many files from the same document. Some have a distored sound in the bounce file, some don't. When I turn off the Mastering Assistant, the bounce files do not have distortion. When I bounce realtime the files do not have distortion. I'd like to eliminate the cause so I can continue to use Mastering Assistant.

Today I started with a blank template, added midi files to tracks and recorded an instrument to a track. I bounced five short sections of the file one at a time, then muted a track and bounced the five sections again. Some of the bounced files are distorted, some are not. Nothing sounds distorted on playback within Logic Pro.

When I turn off the Mastering Assistant, the problem with the bounced files goes away. When I switch from offline to realtime bouncing the problem goes away. Thus, there is an interaction between Mastering Assistant and offline bouncing.

Realtime takes much longer but Mastering Assistant sounds better than my previous mastering settings. Any idea what I can do to keep Mastering Assistant and offline bouncing?

My computer is iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019 (Intel processor)

VMware, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 31, 2024 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 7:19 PM

Seems like this is a common issue. Hoping the folks at Logic are working on it!

One solution: I have found with some files that if I am sure to bounce at the same sample rate as the project, the crackling stops, or mostly stops. If I use another application to convert to 44.1 kHz, then my audio is stays clean.

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 18, 2024 9:48 AM in response to MBonnice

I had the same issue. Bouncing the project Un-mastered and then creating a new project with just the audio file, and then using mastering assistant on that solved the issue. I was able to bounce offline without any distortion. Maybe all the instruments and data/the project's size causes the bounce procedure to become overloaded. Hopefully this works for you also.

Apr 11, 2024 3:00 AM in response to MBonnice

I have a similar problem. For me it distorts a soon as I enable the mastering plugin. This happened quite recently. It has to do with Loudness. If I deactivate loudness compensation it doesn't distort, but the volume goes down. The only way to prevent it from distortion and loss of volume is to decrees the Loudness to beneath 0.6. This never happened before. How do I fix it?

Feb 6, 2024 8:28 AM in response to MBonnice

Hello,

This is the same for me. I use a Macbook pro M1max. When using mastering only for VST instruments, it works fine. But when you use it only for an audio track, it crackles a lot and is not usable. Same result in PCM and in mp3... And for me, same result if I use real time or disconnected. If I bounce the same tracks without mastering, the result is OK. Someone could help ?

Mar 14, 2024 9:05 PM in response to StephenFP

Unsure of your music type, if you're using sub-bass, or a lot of low-end and don't have the monitoring system to reproduce the low frequencies correctly and run the bass frequencies with too much gain,it's possible to overdrive the system. However that would assume you're over-driving a 64 bit system?? How high is the volume level on the Master. it should not go over 0db at any time.

Feb 6, 2024 12:32 PM in response to etienne243

Hi Etienne 243

I only use VST and it occurs randomly; I tried the realtime bounce as suggested my MBonnice and that solved the issue with a troublesome bounce. I’m using Mac Mini M2 … on a different but related issue of use MacBook for a studio setup, I’m sure you already know this but please don’t leave it with the power permanently connected as I did, with a resultant swollen battery and a trip to buy the Mini !

Logic Pro mastering assistant causes distortion in offline bounced file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.