Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iPhone resting energy

iPhone: two consecutive days. iPhone, in agreement with iwatch, showed nearly identical move calories, bur rest calories were 800 one day and 1200 the second day. This is a fairly recent phenomenon, last few months. Any ideas. BMI is unchanged and in healthy range.

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 5:33 PM

This is a known issue and has been reported to Apple but no fix in sight. If you look under the health app for your resting energy and look at the data for days that are low it will likely show you that the watch/app are not inputting data when the watch is not being worn. This is a glitch and happens randomly. I reported this months ago and am told they hope to fix it in a software update but have no clue when. I just hope more customers continue to report the issue so that they prioritize a fix.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2024 5:33 PM in response to billmilosh

This is a known issue and has been reported to Apple but no fix in sight. If you look under the health app for your resting energy and look at the data for days that are low it will likely show you that the watch/app are not inputting data when the watch is not being worn. This is a glitch and happens randomly. I reported this months ago and am told they hope to fix it in a software update but have no clue when. I just hope more customers continue to report the issue so that they prioritize a fix.

Feb 6, 2024 1:20 PM in response to billmilosh

1. Software Updates: Have there been any recent updates to your iPhone or Apple Watch? Sometimes, new software versions can impact how data is recorded and calculated. It's always good to make sure you're on the latest software to rule out any compatibility issues.

2. Activity Levels: Have your activity levels or routines changed in any way? Increased stress, changes in sleep patterns, or even different daily activities can affect how your rest calories are being calculated.

3. Device Placement: Make sure your Apple Watch is correctly placed on your wrist and fits properly. A loose fit or improper positioning can impact the accuracy of the data being collected.

4. Health Data Calibration: It might be helpful to recalibrate your health data on both your iPhone and Apple Watch. This can sometimes help in ensuring more accurate readings.

5. Check Sensors: Ensure that the sensors on both your iPhone and Apple Watch are clean and free from any obstructions. Dust, sweat, or dirt can sometimes interfere with sensor readings.

Remember, your BMI being in a healthy range is great news! It's good to hear that your overall health isn't affected by these fluctuations.

If you've tried these steps and are still facing issues, it might be a good idea to reach out to Apple Support for more personalized assistance. They have all the tools and resources to dive deeper into your specific case.

Feb 6, 2024 2:17 PM in response to billmilosh

Lawrence Finch,

Good suggestion. Sometimes I use the sleep app, but only rarely because of wrist irritation. I will try correlating use of the sleep app with low readings for resting energy. Resting energy is occasionally off by more than 50%. Move energy seems accurate and is always consistent with iwatch. Both devices are always updated automatically as available.

I will keep a log and work with your possible insight of quality of sleep, with and without using the sleep app.

Thanks

Feb 6, 2024 4:32 PM in response to billmilosh

I checked resting energy on iPhone. All the history is there. Hours asleep probably does not explain the difference. My independently measured resting energy is about 1700. Most of the time, iPhone is in the same zone, but sometimes it shows 1,000 to 1100. That is a big difference. Sometimes I use the sleep app. I’ll try to correlate. My resting energy at 1000 is too low.

iPhone resting energy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.