You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mucis app on Windows 11 is 'playing' but no sound is coming out of any audio output.

Hi,

I'm using Apple Music on Windows 11. I have a Dragonfly DAC plugged into my laptop via a USB-C dongle.

I frequently use different bluetooth headsets with my PC.

As such, I'm no stranger to having to close and reopen Apple Music when I want my music to come through a different audio output. Every other app on my PC seems to be able to cope with switching outputs, but that's not the point of this question.

Apple Music on my PC now seems to have got into a state where it will not channel music to any of my audio outputs.

No matter what song I choose, the track listing in the player changes, the progress bar starts filling up, and there is no sound coming out of any output, no matter what I try.

I have signed out of Apple Music, signed back in - no difference.

I have rebooted my laptop - no difference.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the application - no difference.

For clarity - every other app on my PC is pushing sound through whatever output I choose, so all the outputs are working. The Cider app is working fine while connected to the same Apple Music Account. (I don't have AM and Cider running at the same time, I downloaded it for diagnostic purposes).

One thing I have noticed is that in the Windows Volume Mixer Apple Music is showing up twice. Might that me something to do with it?

This is driving me nuts - if anyone could offer any advice, I'd be very grateful.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 6:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2024 2:50 AM

For anyone else suffering the same issue, I'm posting this in case it's of use:

I'm now listening to Apple Music through my DAC again. The DAC (along with several other things) was plugged into the USB-A slot of a multi-port adapter plugged into the USB-C port of my laptop.

I unplugged everything, sat down with the laptop, rebooted it and used it as a laptop. Apple Music played through the laptop speakers instantly.

I've concluded that the issue lies somewhere with the way Apple Music interacts with Windows where multiple outputs are available. As I mention above - every other app I tried seemed to be able to keep track of where it should be sending it's sound. Given Apple Music's known issues with changes to the OS sound output, I do believe that the application is not blameless.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2024 2:50 AM in response to Pedd

For anyone else suffering the same issue, I'm posting this in case it's of use:

I'm now listening to Apple Music through my DAC again. The DAC (along with several other things) was plugged into the USB-A slot of a multi-port adapter plugged into the USB-C port of my laptop.

I unplugged everything, sat down with the laptop, rebooted it and used it as a laptop. Apple Music played through the laptop speakers instantly.

I've concluded that the issue lies somewhere with the way Apple Music interacts with Windows where multiple outputs are available. As I mention above - every other app I tried seemed to be able to keep track of where it should be sending it's sound. Given Apple Music's known issues with changes to the OS sound output, I do believe that the application is not blameless.

Apple Mucis app on Windows 11 is 'playing' but no sound is coming out of any audio output.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.